What Is With My Cory’s Fin?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Beauseph613, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Beauseph613

Beauseph613New MemberMember

Could someone help me identify what is up with my cory’s fin. I purchased six bronze cories two days ago. Unfortunately one died after the first night. One of the cory’s fin has become completely white and appears that he is unable to move it. It started as a small white dot which I assumed to be ich but now the entire fin is white. The other fin now has a small white dot and same with another cory.

Attached Files:

2. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Finrot would "eat" the tissue in my opinion but looks like a bacterial infection indeed.

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Or...it could be the intial stages of fin rot...? Or yeah possibly a bac. infection..

5. DoubleDutch

could be but as said I'd expect some more tissue-loss.

Clean water could do good !!!

6. OP
    OP
    Beauseph613

Thank you all for the replies. What do you all recommend for treatment? I have paraguard, kanaplex, and erythromycin on hand. All three claim to treat bacterial infections and fin rot.

The cories are in my ten gallon qt which has been running for 2-3 months (Black neons just finished quarantine). I performed a 50% water change the day before I got them and another last night, should I keep up with the frequent large water changes?

7. ljm0104

ljm0104Valued MemberMember

What kind of sterilization process do you do between quarantines?

8. OP
    OP
    Beauseph613

Just checked on the tank and the Cory has died. I have to leave for work now, but should I treat with paraguard?

I didn’t do a sterilization process. Am I supposed to between quarantine groups? If it’s of any help, the Black neons were in there for 5-6 weeks and showed no issues.

9. DoubleDutch

10. OP
    OP
    Beauseph613

Ok I will start treatment when I get home. Should I dose the water column or mix it into / soak it in their food as well?

I am also really curious about sterilizing between quarantine groups. I plan on picking up a few more species to go into my display tank after the cories.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice