Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok the other day I noticed this...

it the top of the water in my tank...

notice the oil looking film stuff...

what is that? why is it? is it bad?

sorry I don't know where to turn or even know what is going on here...

parameters are still good and have been... my INfo is up to date...

please tell me what it is ?
thanks for your help all

Attachments

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a 25-29 gallon tank it seems a bit overstocked. It also seems that you've only had your tank cycled 2 months.....2 months seems a little premature to have so many inhabitants. can you post anymore pics of your tank?

The film could be something seeping from your rock or perhaps your filter? I would recommend getting rid of it via water change or protein skimmer ASAP...

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to purchuse a skimmer dude!!!It's all the remnants of feeding and detritis that are causing the problem how is your nitrates? When looking to buy a skimmer do a venturI driven skimmer. My fav is from Red Sea berlin type with a good pump to pump the skimmer. They are very well built and do wonders for our salties. I have had my skimmer since about 1986 and still works like day one . I purchused another one about a year ago and works just as good as the first one I purchused!!!

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you guys for your input,

I've been looking into extra filters, maybe even a sump, but the problem I keep running into is the eclipse hood I have have little or no rooms for this extra equipment, iam kinda at a wits end with this hood, I've read that its a good filteration but I don't know anymore,I would very much like to get a proteins skimmer but placement is eluding me with this hood...
Thank again guys, and thanks for suggestion on the redsea skimmer, that's the kind of quailtiy iam looking for,

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
iam on a very tiny budget,
and well with my tanks hood and the limits of that darn hood
iam thinking I may be able to squeeze this skimmer in the tank and hood

lemme know what you think...

also I have a 5 gal tank iam not using for anything, it has a filter also... iam thinking of making a refugium out of it... now if I do that, will I still need the skimmer? my thoughts are yes but I want to be sure of that, so when I plan this ref out I will include the skimmer iam about to buy...

please your opinions

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
also this one, its more than id like to spend but, I think I could also make this one work since it hangs off the back, should be able ta make it work with my hood...

lemme know what you would do, and any opinions thank you guys and gals

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry but both of the skimmers that you posted are not worth the money!!! I understand your budjet I'm there too but don't waste your money on that type do water changes every week about 15 % should do well As you syphon the water out turn hose toward the top of water line to catch as much as you can of the protein this will buy you some time to save up for a good skimmer. Can you post a pic of you canopy so I can see what you have for clearence.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
umm yep tested water today... all parameters are 0... STILL! ph alittle low, so I added some buffer today,

I will try to get you a picture, but there's pretty much no clearance its a whole top cover hood, the only thing I have is a 3.5/4 finger (yes finger lol) whole in the back left side where most the wires run though,

not to change the subject,
ive been looking very hard into making an overflow, and in turn using that 5 gallon tank under the display tank in the stand, and setting up a TURF SCRUBBER, from what ive read and seen a turfscrubber set up right is the way to go, in turn skimming the water, and removing algae,nitrites and phosphates... I my adventure in figuring the bulk supplies iam looking at about 40-50$

anyone recommend building an using a turf scrubber? anyone use one? PROs? CONs?

the main reason I like the scrubber idea is is the benefits and the fact that I can keep the hood intact only adding the pvc overflow, and the return pump in the sump tank that return pipe is the only two things to add and the one hole in the hood will most likely accept those two plumbings...

lemme know if you thinks iam wasting my time with this adventure also,
THANK YOU SO much for your honest opinion on those skimmers!
I looked at the one you mentioned, and after looking into that one then the ones I was looking into... yes, I totally agree with ya, and man I was so close to that mistake thanks a mil for saving me from that...

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
heres a picture/link of the hood,
its an eclipse 2
sorry its not mine personnal one but I figure this'll help, give yas an idea of what iam up against

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are right not much room.Lol I would cut out the back with a hack saw for more clearence for over flow. Also 5 gallon sump is not big enough 10 or 15 gallon is what you will need. I have never tried a turf scrubber or a refugium before I always have used a sump for gas exchange and for skimmer to sit in or around sump. They do sell refuge's that hang on the back and come with a overflow have you checked into these? Although you would be better off by having just a tank in canopy and is a lot cheaper.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks Stang Man,

ive thought of going to town and murdering the back of this hood, sorry I didnt get you a better pic, BUT the problem with hacking into this thing is the carbon media and bio wheel is located in the back...

check this thread out though (if ya have not all ready) I found it on one of my first days of being on the wonderful site...

you can make it from something as little as a 3 gal bucket and it can still be super duper effective...

I for one am tired of seeing and dealing algae on my glass...

I dunno, ive read that thread up down and sideways... caint believe no one makes those things...

I like the idea of lowering and eliminating phosphates naturally, eliminating nite's, if done right I can get rid of all filtering media,lower if not eliminate water changes I can feed the nutrient rich water to my coral tank, create millions of free copepods for the mandarins I want to get,

iam torn yes but this does seem like the way to shoot at tackling a multitude of potential problems,

I dunno check out that thread lemme know what your opinion is

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting!!! Give it a shot you will never know till you try it!!! Now as for hood this hood has a bio wheel. That's a total nitrate producer. And for carbon it only works for a few days when first put in and has no benefit after 3-4 days I have tested this for many many years. The longer the carbon stays in the filter the more nitrates develope and the carbon after 15-18 day's starts to break down. The best way to use carbon and only use activated carbon is rinse well in R/O water and then place in filter let it filter for up to 4 days then discard I use it only twice a month it's for polishing water that is all it does.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
dang! I DID NOT know THAT! so the bio wheel is actual bad?? no wait...

and the carbon! could that be the reason my fish! DIE!?! mainly clowns keep dieing

I purchased all the plumbing today for 20$ now all I need is the screen, return pump and the cement to put it together... ohh and the mindbending elbow grease to cut and put it together

its a good project,

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a biowheel penguin filter on my tanks for almost a year and never had any real nitrate problems. The only problem I had with the biowheels was when I found out that my copepods were getting caught in the wheels and dying :X

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Naeusu said:
I had a biowheel penguin filter on my tanks for almost a year and never had any real nitrate problems. The only problem I had with the biowheels was when I found out that my copepods were getting caught in the wheels and dying :X
Biowheels are somewhat the same as wet/dry filters they do fine on start up rapidly decline after a certain amount of time. Using this equipment for reef and inverts I highly reccomend not using this equipment.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Luke I don't think that is the cause unless nitrates are over 12.5 mg/l What I do think is the cause is new tank syndrome you may be adding stock to fast you just started this tank in May still has a few more month's to gain full strenght I would suggest not buying any stock for at least 2 months. Have fun bulding the scrubber let me know how it turns out!!!!

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OMG!

get this!

I made up salt water in my 5 gallon bucket, which I usually do, the same one, haven't cleaned it for weeks with any soap or anything (too afraid?) juss rinse it real good with hot hot tap water, after use...

but ive made up a batch of water put my power head in for the night as to use the water change tommorrow,... RIGHT!

AND THE SAME FILM IN THE PIC of the OP is on top of the "clean water" I want to use for the water change tommorrow!...

what's with this? should I make a new and maybe clean bucket with soapy water first? RINSE THOUGHLY... ??

??? I was shocked, now I don't wanna use this water, bucket...

maybe juss buy a new bucket?,
need to disinfect?

its a 5 gallon bucket youd get from menards of homedepot lowes...

give me your thoughts,

ive been against soap anything when it comes to tank and equip, just HOT water rinses

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do not use soap or any chemicals what so ever!!!!!!!!!!!Just soak bucket for a few hours with very warm water then rinse a few times do not use any bucket that has had any thing in it except salt I use these buckets for fish. What type of salt are you using? It's the salt that you are using that must be a poor grade salt!!!!

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
red sea salt,

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this something you get at Petco?