What is this!?

nhultine

I current have a guppy with this strange “thing” coming out of her vaginal opening. Any idea what it could be? Been like this for two days and has been getting longer.

Sheena-Phx

It almost looks like she has a prolapse going on, where some of the insides are coming out of their opening. I've only ever dealt with this in chickens, but it can happen with fish as well. If if is prolapsed, nothing can be done except try to keep the water pristine until it heals itself, aiming to avoid any infection.

She looks to be nearly ready for a fry drop, has she had babies before, or will this be her first time? Do you have any idea how long she has until they are born? It could be due to a large number of fry, and the pressure resulting from within if I had to guess.

Edit: Prolapsed guppies tend to have more pink color to the bits coming out, so I'm really not sure if this is what that is, but you may want to try researching "prolapsed female guppy" and see if you can compare different scenarios. Obviously each fish will be unique. I tried looking up some photos for reference, but it would be better for you to do that, since you have your fish right there with you to examine and compare. Hope this helps.

nhultine

Sheena-Phx said:
It almost looks like she has a prolapse going on, where some of the insides are coming out of their opening. I've only ever dealt with this in chickens, but it can happen with fish as well. If if is prolapsed, nothing can be done except try to keep the water pristine until it heals itself, aiming to avoid any infection.

She looks to be nearly ready for a fry drop, has she had babies before, or will this be her first time? Do you have any idea how long she has until they are born? It could be due to a large number of fry, and the pressure resulting from within if I had to guess.

Edit: Prolapsed guppies tend to have more pink color to the bits coming out, so I'm really not sure if this is what that is, but you may want to try researching "prolapsed female guppy" and see if you can compare different scenarios. Obviously each fish will be unique. I tried looking up some photos for reference, but it would be better for you to do that, since you have your fish right there with you to examine and compare. Hope this helps.
So she is due any day now. This will be her third birth. I tried looking but couldn’t find too too much. I will have to keep digging. We are keeping a close eye on her and had the same idea that maybe she might be having a larger litter this time around.

jkkgron2

Sheena-Phx said:

Agreed. One of my endlers is suffering from what seems like a prolapse. It’s not effecting him but it won’t fall off. This looks similar but it’s also possible this is caused by the pressure from the fry.

Sheena-Phx

That is my thought. Hopefully it doesn't come out much more. It's easier to heal the smaller it is obviously, but the more babies, the more pressure. Fingers crossed she pulls through and is able to heal after the babies. Hoping they don't make it worse. Wish there was something to help or fix it, but clean water I believe is the only way to go.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom