Help What is this??

Sb092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please help identify... some say ich/ick others say too big for ich/ick. No other fish has these spots but the oto.

Attachments

OP
Sb092

Sb092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mhamilton0911 said:
That looks like a nasty case of ich alright. :(
Purchased api super ich stuff today. I already changed water early this morning, and purchased a master test kit. Since I was using api general cure, I will wait until tomorrow to change water and remove rabbit snail, and start treating with half doses of ich meds. Hope it helps.

BigB322

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is most definitely ICK, all 5 of my oto cats got it that bad and they died a few days later. I hope you have better luck with it then me. I would recommend getting ICK-X as you can use the full dose and it is safe for scaleless fish and invertebrates. Best of luck!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is, unfortunately, NOT Ich. Ich has small, bright white, and usually consistently sized bumps. As you can see from the photos, those spots are not consistent in size and are translucent grey rather than white. Ich is relatively easy to treat with common anti-parasitic medications. This has sometimes been called "super Ick", as it does not respond to the anti-parasite meds that are used for Ich. That's because it's not a parasite, but an infection.

The only time I had success treating it was to put a tablespoon of salt per gallon and turn the heat up to 90 F. A lot of fish won't survive the treatment any better than the disease, but it does keep it from spreading. I also did bleach sterilization of tanks where fish died from this illness.

BigB322

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
That is, unfortunately, NOT Ich. Ich has small, bright white, and usually consistently sized bumps. As you can see from the photos, those spots are not consistent in size and are translucent grey rather than white. Ich is relatively easy to treat with common anti-parasitic medications. This has sometimes been called "super Ick", as it does not respond to the anti-parasite meds that are used for Ich. That's because it's not a parasite, but an infection.

The only time I had success treating it was to put a tablespoon of salt per gallon and turn the heat up to 90 F. A lot of fish won't survive the treatment any better than the disease, but it does keep it from spreading. I also did bleach sterilization of tanks where fish died from this illness.
Wrong thread Sorry.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BigB322 said:
Wrong thread Sorry.
Don't be, if you hadn't posted in this thread I never would have seen it. They would go on thinking they were just dealing with Ich, rather than a very contagious and almost always fatal infectious disease. The thread title was ambiguous enough that it escaped my attention the first time. I'm glad you revived it to where I did see it. Thank You!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom