Important What is this?!?

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I noticed this tonight in my tank and have never seen before. Please help identify, if it is harmful, and how to get rid of it and if I should get rid of it. I attached picture.

Attachments

Best Answer - View Feohw's answer

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pwilly07 said:
I noticed this tonight in my tank and have never seen before. Please help identify, if it is harmful, and how to get rid of it and if I should get rid of it. I attached picture.
The white worm looking things ?
StarGirl15

John58ford

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stuck to the glass I see some Hydra (little tiny cactus/tree looking things), is that what you're asking about?

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
John58ford said:
Stuck to the glass I see some Hydra (little tiny cactus/tree looking things), is that what you're asking about?
Was gonna say that as well bit thought they were in bunches and not solo like that.

OP
Pwilly07

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Doesn't hydra have an appendage that has many skinnier appendages coming off of it??

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If thats a shrimp tank you need Planaria Zero or Fenbendazole to get rid of the Hydra the flat worm are harmless

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
Not sure what the flat worm is. If it has a triangular head when fully stretch and crawling about it is planaria. The small greenish things are hydra as stated. Planaria can also kill shrimp in high numbers. Definitely treat with fenbendazole.

John58ford

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pwilly07 said:
Doesn't hydra have an appendage that has many skinnier appendages coming off of it??
I pulled your photo, zoomed it and bumped the contrast. This appears to be Hydra:
Lumii_20200602_232622162.jpg

But I also have been wrong, you can see it better in person I'm sure.

OP
Pwilly07

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
John58ford said:
I pulled your photo, zoomed it and bumped the contrast. This appears to be Hydra:
Lumii_20200602_232622162.jpg

But I also have been wrong, you can see it better in person I'm sure.
It is hydra! I was focused on the worm that I missed the hydra. I ordered 2 grams of fenbendazole and paid the $24 to UPS it to me in 1 day. It will be here June 4th. I hope that will save my shrimp. I must have gotten them when shrimp came in. I'm going to mix 1 gram in 200ml of water so that would be 40ml for my 20g tank each day until they are gone. That is unless someone else has a better idea! I'm all ears. That's just what someone posted on a less known forum to me.

OP
Pwilly07

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richiep said:
That is defenetly Hydra and will kill shrimp
I totally missed them! Thank you and to others helping by noticing them! Is my dosing regimen okay and do you think shrimp will make it?

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
I dosed every two days and had to redose twice. It worked. I don't know if shrimp can OD on fenbendazole, but I didn't want to test it on my shrimp. If you have any snails, remember to remove them before adding the fenbendazole, otherwise they won't make it. As for re-adding them, I've heard it has taken 5 months before anybody is able to add them back.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be careful on your dosage with Fenbendazole you can overdose
Get the dosage from someone who as used it, Celestialpearl should be able to do that

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
richiep said:
Be careful on your dosage with Fenbendazole you can overdose
Get the dosage from someone who as used it, Celestialpearl should be able to do that
I haven’t used the dilution method. I used weight based method.

Regardless you want to aim for 100mg/10 US gallons. Or 0.1g/10gal.

Pwilly07 your concentration will deliver the recommended amount. Some people will reconstitute with 500mL water but your reconstitution will deliver the desired 200mg if you dose 40mL at a concentration of 1g/200mL (5mg/mL).

Again, I redosed every 48hrs. I know I said I dosed twice before, but I may have done a third dose to make sure the worms where dead. I cannot remember. I ran meds straight through w/o a water change and did not have any ill effect on my shrimp. Nor did I ever get an ammonia spike (from dead planaria).

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have used fenbendazole in a shrimp tank recently for hydra and then again this week for planaria . In my case it’s a 2.5 gallon with an under gravel filter. ( my first)

Just saying yes be careful not to overdose,but there’s no way I measured the correct dose for 2.2 gallons of water . Perhaps I got lucky? I killed nothing in the way of shrimp or pest snails.
I knocked the hydra out in less than one hour. The planaria a few weeks later took two random sized doses on consecutive days. Yes be careful but you don’t need to freak out trying to measure a tiny amount with that spoon or digital scales.IMO

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Everyone is looking at the smaller hydras, but the larger critter that the OP was focused on has been ignored for the most part. It's not a flatworm. It's a leech. A glossiphoniid leech. A snail leech, so if you have any snails in there, this guy will feed off of them. If there are no snails, they survive on worms.

They don't tend to be any harm to fish or shrimp, and thankfully you will most often find that there is just a single leech in a tank. If there are more, they don't tend to appear in high numbers. Though they are excellent parents, the females will carry the offspring under them (and even the offspring of other leeches), so best to remove them before potential breeding takes place.

These guys don't respond to No Planaria and other treatments, so best to pick them out yourself. Don't release them either.

That may even be an empty snail shell on the substrate under it? If so, we may now know what happened there.

OP
Pwilly07

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Feohw said:
Everyone is looking at the smaller hydras, but the larger critter that the OP was focused on has been ignored for the most part. It's not a flatworm. It's a leech. A glossiphoniid leech. A snail leech, so if you have any snails in there, this guy will feed off of them. If there are no snails, they survive on worms.

They don't tend to be any harm to fish or shrimp, and thankfully you will most often find that there is just a single leech in a tank. If there are more, they don't tend to appear in high numbers. Though they are excellent parents, the females will carry the offspring under them (and even the offspring of other leeches), so best to remove them before potential breeding takes place.

These guys don't respond to No Planaria and other treatments, so best to pick them out yourself. Don't release them either.

That may even be an empty snail shell on the substrate under it? If so, we may now know what happened there.
That's just peachy! How did that happen and what can I do about them?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feohw said:

Do you know when i first looked at that picture i thought that was a baby fish.
I think i need an optitian and as usual Feohw is behind me putting the bugs right you really do amase me with your knowledge.

John58ford

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richiep said:
Do you know when i first looked at that picture i thought that was a baby fish.
I think i need an optitian and as usual Feohw is behind me putting the bugs right you really do amase me with your knowledge.
I even zoomed the photo but never looked at that section up close, I just though "oh cute baby Otto" and proceeded to look at/for microorganisms lol.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom