20 Gallon Tank What Is This?

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
0EF42B80-E22B-465C-AB70-FC1C7FAD0130.jpeg
I have and know copepods and seed shrimps but this kind I dont know. Its only in my 20 gallon long that has a new colony of blue dreams, some CPO dwarf orange crays and micro crabs. The tank is approaching 6 months old. They are black and white striped, a bit bigger then cyclops. I can’t find any info on them. Does anyone know exactly what they are?

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
looks like just a different type of seed shrimp
Thats what Im hoping for. I find it really strange that I cant find any info on them, and unlike the little white guys which cant be seen easily on plants, these darker ones are much more prominent and frankly kinda ugly settling all over my plants like flies. All those little black dots are bugs.

Attachments

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So strange. It doesn’t even look like they’re underwater. Lol

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Search Results

Knowledge result

Description
Ostracods, or ostracodes, are a class of the Crustacea, sometimes known as seed shrimp. Some 70,000 species have been identified, grouped into several orders. They are small crustaceans, typically around 1 mm in size, but varying from 0.2 to 30 mm in the case of Gigantocypris. Wikipedia

Class: Ostracoda; Latreille, 1802
Phylum: Euarthropoda
Kingdom: Animalia
Scientific name: Ostracoda
Higher classification: Crustacean
VIDEOS FROM THE WEB
LOWER CLASSIFICATIONS
Podocopida
Myodocopa
upload_2019-5-30_23-30-36.png
Cytherelloidea

Feedback

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Ostra...
Web results
Ostracod - Wikipedia

Ostracods, or ostracodes, are a class of the Crustacea (class Ostracoda), sometimes known as seed shrimp. Some 70,000 species have been identified ...
Fossils
Description
Palaeoclimatic ...
Ecology

https://lifeinfreshwater.net › seed-shrimps...
Seed shrimps (Ostracoda) | LIFE IN ...
es?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY2b4c_TluIMluTYB4hmt6tDOUi5eSW-chy0GxF23vsjDHoaYi1CqTsnl7M3I4wk4SFoUUeA&usqp=CAE.jpg

Seed shrimps. (subphylum Crustacea, class Ostracoda) Feeding: Seed shrimps use specialized appendages to filter algae, bacteria and small particles of detritus.

https://www.sacsplash.org › critter › seed...
Seed Shrimp - Sacramento Splash
es?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0oPoOyN9XujTZPk9hXbjMTPbpQahMjs7Fb1_WoPvIr3SrXzAvrqWC00Es4iS1lwYOeZAObg&usqp=CAE.jpg

29 Dec 2002 · The body of a Seed Shrimp is protected by two shells that form its carapace. The carapace resembles a seed, so they are called Seed Shrimp. The body inside the carapace is short with two sections, a head and a thorax. The head has four pair of appendages (leg-like structures).

Scientific name: many different vernal pool species, few with names

Description: Many different species of Seed Shrimp live in vernal pools.

Habitat: vernal pools and freshwater marshes

Size: 0.1 mm to 0.5 cm long

solidgoldaquatics.com › tag › seed-shrimp
seed shrimp – Solid Gold Aquatics
es?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvryCLGeUcBD5fvmHZqoYhyUStRPH6-yHsG1CWqaOrJT_wM0yLpO76--pMUPdlZ6DNUpkswg&usqp=CAE.jpg

You guys… ostracods get out of control fast! If you don't know what ostracods (aka seed shrimp) are, then check out my blog post about them here. On top of ...

https://daphniaculture.com › product › os...
Ostracod Seed Shrimp Species | Daphnia Culture
es?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt5kR0HPpTfqXf_D7uzvSeJIkcWY5AiqZA0VnFZusITmzxXCZpQwu9o8noguz4wtsR4oZP1Q&usqp=CAE.jpg

Description. Ostracod Seed Shrimp Species. These are amazing little critters, a lot like muscles or clams that you get at the beach. Unlike them, these guys are ...

Price

A$20.00 to A$35.00

https://www.pinterest.com › pin
Seed Shrimp: The body of a Seed Shrimp is protected by two shells that form its carapace ...

Seed Shrimp: The body of a Seed Shrimp is protected by two shells that form its carapace.

www.aquaticquotient.com › forum › 122...
seed shrimp - Aquatic Quotient

5 Sep 2015 · Does it indicates problem with water quality if seed shrimp keeps increasing?

PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What do seed shrimp eat?
Are ostracods harmful?
Why do ostracods glow?
Why are ostracods important?

Feedback

Ad
  1. Ad·www.ebay.co.uk/
    Shrimp Plant Seeds on eBay | Fantastic prices on Top Items

Free Shipping on eBay. Buyer Protection Program. Money Back Guarantee. Fast 'N Free Shipping. World's Largest Selection. Huge Selections & Savings. Make Money When You Sell. Shop with Confidence. Fill Your Cart With Color. Returns Made Easy.
    Rating for ebay.co.uk
    ") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x; font-size: 0px;">") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x;">
    On-time delivery
    99%+

RELATED SEARCHES
seed shrimp for sale
seed shrimp trap
will guppies eat seed shrimp
seed shrimp vs daphnia
seed shrimp betta fish
seed shrimp video
seed shrimp ecology
seed shrimp lifespan
Page Navigation

More results
Footer links
United Kingdom
MK41 6AL, Clapham, Bedford - From your device - Learn more

Terms

Attachments

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Search Results

Knowledge result

Description
Ostracods, or ostracodes, are a class of the Crustacea, sometimes known as seed shrimp. Some 70,000 species have been identified, grouped into several orders. They are small crustaceans, typically around 1 mm in size, but varying from 0.2 to 30 mm in the case of Gigantocypris. Wikipedia

VIDEOS FROM THE WEB
LOWER CLASSIFICATIONS
Podocopida
Myodocopa
View attachment 561222
Cytherelloidea

Feedback

Web results
Ostracod - Wikipedia

Ostracods, or ostracodes, are a class of the Crustacea (class Ostracoda), sometimes known as seed shrimp. Some 70,000 species have been identified ...
Fossils
Description
Palaeoclimatic ...
Ecology

es?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY2b4c_TluIMluTYB4hmt6tDOUi5eSW-chy0GxF23vsjDHoaYi1CqTsnl7M3I4wk4SFoUUeA&usqp=CAE.jpg

Seed shrimps. (subphylum Crustacea, class Ostracoda) Feeding: Seed shrimps use specialized appendages to filter algae, bacteria and small particles of detritus.

es?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0oPoOyN9XujTZPk9hXbjMTPbpQahMjs7Fb1_WoPvIr3SrXzAvrqWC00Es4iS1lwYOeZAObg&usqp=CAE.jpg

29 Dec 2002 · The body of a Seed Shrimp is protected by two shells that form its carapace. The carapace resembles a seed, so they are called Seed Shrimp. The body inside the carapace is short with two sections, a head and a thorax. The head has four pair of appendages (leg-like structures).

es?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvryCLGeUcBD5fvmHZqoYhyUStRPH6-yHsG1CWqaOrJT_wM0yLpO76--pMUPdlZ6DNUpkswg&usqp=CAE.jpg

You guys… ostracods get out of control fast! If you don't know what ostracods (aka seed shrimp) are, then check out my blog post about them here. On top of ...

es?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt5kR0HPpTfqXf_D7uzvSeJIkcWY5AiqZA0VnFZusITmzxXCZpQwu9o8noguz4wtsR4oZP1Q&usqp=CAE.jpg

Description. Ostracod Seed Shrimp Species. These are amazing little critters, a lot like muscles or clams that you get at the beach. Unlike them, these guys are ...

Price

A$20.00 to A$35.00

Seed Shrimp: The body of a Seed Shrimp is protected by two shells that form its carapace ...

Seed Shrimp: The body of a Seed Shrimp is protected by two shells that form its carapace.

5 Sep 2015 · Does it indicates problem with water quality if seed shrimp keeps increasing?

PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What do seed shrimp eat?
Are ostracods harmful?
Why do ostracods glow?

Feedback

Ad
  1. Ad·www.ebay.co.uk/

Free Shipping on eBay. Buyer Protection Program. Money Back Guarantee. Fast 'N Free Shipping. World's Largest Selection. Huge Selections & Savings. Make Money When You Sell. Shop with Confidence. Fill Your Cart With Color. Returns Made Easy.
    Rating for ebay.co.uk
    ") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x; font-size: 0px;">") 0px 0px / 13px 15px repeat-x;">
    On-time delivery
    99%+

RELATED SEARCHES
seed shrimp for sale
seed shrimp trap
seed shrimp vs daphnia
seed shrimp betta fish
seed shrimp video
seed shrimp ecology
seed shrimp lifespan
Page Navigation

More results
Footer links
United Kingdom

Terms
Wow richie! Lol! Yeah, a bit of his vid did look like seed shrimp, that maybe I have? Tho there were no closeups. But little black pepper dots would fit the bill. So...I assume not an issue with regard to the health of my tanks except the fact they may be finding WAY too much to eat?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it's like most hatches they peak and feed thdn die off, I look at it as your tank is thriving which is a good thing, if it were a fish tank you wouldn't see them its because its a shrimp tank with no predators they are able to thrive

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Search Results

Knowledge result

Description

VIDEOS FROM THE WEB
LOWER CLASSIFICATIONS
Podocopida
Myodocopa
View attachment 561222
Cytherelloidea

Feedback

Web results
Ostracod - Wikipedia

Fossils
Description
Palaeoclimatic ...
Ecology

Price

A$20.00 to A$35.00

PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What do seed shrimp eat?
Are ostracods harmful?
Why do ostracods glow?

Feedback

Ad
  1. Ad·www.ebay.co.uk/

Rating for ebay.co.uk
    On-time delivery
    99%+

RELATED SEARCHES
seed shrimp for sale
seed shrimp trap
seed shrimp vs daphnia
seed shrimp betta fish
seed shrimp video
seed shrimp ecology
seed shrimp lifespan
Page Navigation

More results
Footer links
United Kingdom

Terms
HOLY RESEARCH!!

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it's like most hatches they peak anx fir off, I look at it as your tank is thriving which is a good thing, if it were a fish tank you wouldn't see them its because its a shrimp tank with no predators they are able to thrive
Someone else thought they may be water fleas? Is that just another name for seed shrimp? I look them all up and it doesnt seem to be much different.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's also a possibility they look the same and get big so you can flip a coin on this one I think

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is a better read than the first I posted.
Water flea are a look alike but are in fact a different species
Ostracods, or ostracodes, are a class of the Crustacea (class Ostracoda), sometimes known as seed shrimp. Some 70,000 species (only 13,000 of which are extant) have been identified,[1] grouped into several orders. They are small crustaceans, typically around 1 mm (0.039 in) in size, but varying from 0.2 to 30 mm (0.008 to 1.181 in) in the case of Gigantocypris. Their bodies are flattened from side to side and protected by a bivalve-like, chitinous or calcareous valve or "shell". The hinge of the two valves is in the upper (dorsal) region of the body. Ostracods are grouped together based on gross morphology. While early work indicated the group may not be monophyletic;[2] and early molecular phylogeny was ambiguous on this front,[3] recent combined analyses of molecular and morphological data found support for monophyly in analyses with broadest taxon sampling [4]

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is a better read than the first I posted.
Water flea are a look alike but are in fact a different species
Ostracods, or ostracodes, are a class of the Crustacea (class Ostracoda), sometimes known as seed shrimp. Some 70,000 species (only 13,000 of which are extant) have been identified,[1] grouped into several orders. They are small crustaceans, typically around 1 mm (0.039 in) in size, but varying from 0.2 to 30 mm (0.008 to 1.181 in) in the case of Gigantocypris. Their bodies are flattened from side to side and protected by a bivalve-like, chitinous or calcareous valve or "shell". The hinge of the two valves is in the upper (dorsal) region of the body. Ostracods are grouped together based on gross morphology. While early work indicated the group may not be monophyletic;[2] and early molecular phylogeny was ambiguous on this front,[3] recent combined analyses of molecular and morphological data found support for monophyly in analyses with broadest taxon sampling [4]
. Thanks Richie! I dont have a good enough camera to get a better look. So, garsh! Still not sure. Likely a seed shrimp variety.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This was my tank and these are copepods the other photo is one I took with.a microscope and I think I can see one in your photo
Same exact ones! Yes Richie! The ones on the left. I cant tell by the oneson the right.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom