Question What Is This?

blue velvet keeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're probably not finding them because they're adapted to living in vernal pools. Being seasonal, these pools normally don't contain any fish.
Yeah one part of the year it has a lot of water In it another part it has no water in it

I mean, they are a good fish food, that's what I mainly use them for. No substrate works best, since you can collect the eggs easier
Any treatment for the eggs

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sure, but they constantly swim, so it could provide some shedding debris for them to eat, but I've always been fine with the green water.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I found some of these guys in a pool today. I'm going to head out at night (I gather they are very phototactic) and collect a bunch and try to see if I can rear/raise them in a cold outdoor mini-pond (that's a fancy way of saying a black storage tote, set up to replicate the pool they came from). I'll bring a bunch of the leaf litter and algae from the pond, along with a couple gallons of that water (it's a long hike, I don't want to carry much). It's starting to be covered in duckweek, so I'll collect some of that as well.
The only question is should I add an airstone? And if so, do I need a special pump for outdoor use? Or a normal pump under an upside down bucket or something?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found some of these guys in a pool today. I'm going to head out at night (I gather they are very phototactic) and collect a bunch and try to see if I can rear/raise them in a cold outdoor mini-pond (that's a fancy way of saying a black storage tote, set up to replicate the pool they came from). I'll bring a bunch of the leaf litter and algae from the pond, along with a couple gallons of that water (it's a long hike, I don't want to carry much). It's starting to be covered in duckweek, so I'll collect some of that as well.
The only question is should I add an airstone? And if so, do I need a special pump for outdoor use? Or a normal pump under an upside down bucket or something?
I personally say no to air pump.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom