What Is This? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by blue velvet keeper, Apr 18, 2019.

1. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

I found these in a swamp by my house on our private property but what are these they seem like brine shrimpImage1555624572.622715.jpg I also want to know if they are a good fish food?

2. FalenaValued MemberMember

They do look to be brine shrimp! Brine shrimp are excellent fish food , but live food can carry parasites, I'm guessing especially wild ones but I wouldn't know, I've never found wild ones before, that's pretty cool :)

3. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I thought they needed salt!

If they are can I and how do I breed them?

4. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Fresh water fairy shrimp would be my guess ?

5. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

Can I feed/breed these?

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Fairy shrimp!! Lovely to keep, the young have the same nutritional value as baby brine shrimp for the first 3 days!
    They do best in Green water, but you can also feed a yeast mixture, Google "fairy shrimp food" and it should come up, on the planted tank forum I believe.
    They lay eggs that typically have to be dehydrated and rehydrated to hatch, but a small portion still hatch, you'll get more of these in warmer water, but they work at room temp too

7. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

The water I found them in was crystal clear with leaf tannins near the bottom I think it is a cool find

Edit: you can tell because the water they are in in the photo is the same water I found them in I think that is what the spring peepers are eating to (type of frog)

8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

That makes sense, there's probably a lot of shedding plant matter, we can't quite replicate that in most aquariums. Haha, I bet the frogs do eat them!

9. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

there is not any plants in it besides some leaves

10. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

The leaves are what's breaking down, it's the decaying particles that they eat. You could probably do a similar set up with leaf litter, maybe that will work

11. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

ok that will be cool i will get some mud from the bottom aswell

edit: how bug of a setup should i have?

12. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Nice find. If you want to breed them i usevatleast a 5g or 10g.

13. FalenaValued MemberMember

They do indeed, brine shrimp can be found in inland saltwater bodies too such as salt lakes and surrounding swamps. Basically, they occur in any body of water containing any amount of salt, including salts swamps near any coast and the intermountain desert region of the western United States, they've even been found living in and around man-made saltpans around the world. so I thought it may have been possible. But I've never heard of the fairy shrimp which definitely sounds more fitting. That's something interesting to look into! learn something new every day :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  14. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

yep no salt here in MN

15. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I've bred them in 2 liter soda bottles, had the best luck with a tiny 1/2 gallon tub, lol. I dunno, they didn't have a filter, just wanted some to feed to my bettas

16. midnaWell Known MemberMember

fairy shrimp are so cute! i miss mine :(

17. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

I just fed them to my neons and I feel so bad now I regret it I think I will keep a colony in my own 1/2 gallon tub that I have. Is there any substrate that I need?

18. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I'm from Minnesota as well. My old cabin/lake place was by Battle Lake and Ottertail lake. Never saw those little things though...not even lake Minnetonka has those...just...a lot of horwort and Elodea/Anacharis! TONS of it everywhere...but at least it's not hydrilla...although up near those parts, most of the water is NOT even near stagnant at all ever...brine shrimp are attacted to light, which may be the characteristic differential thus explaining why the Fairy Shrimp are possibly not attracted to light...and if they're generally founds near brackish water or so...very interesting....

19. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I mean, they are a good fish food, that's what I mainly use them for. No substrate works best, since you can collect the eggs easier

20. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

You're probably not finding them because they're adapted to living in vernal pools. Being seasonal, these pools normally don't contain any fish.