What is this?

GuppieLover

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well my guppy is still alive, but her fins are still clamped. So far I have been treating her with "Stress Coat" to help her fins fight off whatever is bugging her; as we didn't seem to be sure if it was fungus or not. This morning I saw a red "dot" on her tail fin. Not an injury like it's bleeding, I mean a dot. Like a smallish red "ball" stuck at the end of the tail.

Here's a pic. Any idea what it is?

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
It sounds like fin rot. Under the disease thread they have a chart you can look it up on there. You can treat it with medication like Melafix or they have tabs you can add to the tank. Just look for a treatment that will work on fin rot.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just in case the "dot" may be parasitic, I would treat with BOTH Melafix and Pimafix. They are herbal treatments that are meant to be paired for treatment of fish problems. You treat the same way with both and they do not counteract each other. One takes care of bacterial and fungus types of infections and the other parasitic infestations. You seem to have caught the problem fairly soon. The really important thing is a warm and clean environment with a fin problem to help in regeneration. Also please, if you are going to medicate your little one, do be sure to remove the carbon from your filter or it will simply filter it right back out of the water and it will do your fish no good. The carbon is replaced after the medication is no longer needed to filter out any traces that may remain after the water change to take the majority of it out of the water.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. This is a close knit little fish community open and willing to accept any who care to join us and love their pets or who just want to enjoy the tales of ours. Feel free to browse the forum for information or to see some of the tanks our members are so proud of and perhaps to add some of your own. We love Pictures!! I do hope your experience here is as pleasant as mine has been. I do love it here.

Keep us informed of the little one's progress, please.

Rose

GuppieLover

Reaction score
Well things are not improving.

I got both Melafix and Primafix,,, but now the fish seems to have "crashed". Nothing else looks wrong except for those red "balls" on her fins and she looks slightly white (must be the fungus). I hope it's just cause she's tired,,,, cause I have a nasty feeling what I am doing is of no help and I am going to loose my fishy.

Should I be concerned about this crash. She's been having problems swimming cause of the clamped fins,,, but now she swims then crashes on her back again.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry. Sometimes you can't do anything to save them. We have all lost fish. You are not alone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom