What Is This!?

1. Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies Valued Member Member

8E527A70-D400-44F0-A966-7DCFA8A7B432.jpeg 6F5E320A-13C7-4B40-AC0C-FB1BCB9927E4.jpeg EDFA6CB7-2D6E-4BB2-8258-23C2ECFBDCAE.jpeg 06DF6D9E-E4FE-4975-8191-89FC9ECF52A3.jpeg okay guys, I bought a “green terror” from earl may. People online are telling me it’s not a green terror. Please someone who is good with cichlids please tell me what this is.....

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Not a green terror, looks more like a Jack Dempsey to me.

3. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

I’ve had someone say the same thing. The guy working there seriously needs a new job o_O this is the third fish he has steered me wrong with. Lol well this fish is with my Oscar in a 75 gallon together (just them two) and they don’t have any issue with each other at all. So I’m assuming they are okay? Lol

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a Flowerhorn, or a low grade Red Texas. My guess is the latter. Absolutely not a GT or a JD.

5. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

The latter? What is that? I like how he looks though :) maybe time will bring out his looks more :)

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Part of me thinks it’s a flowerhorn as well. It’s not the big monster head you see but it’s not a green terror or a JD.

7. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Jeez, I’m so confused. I’m pretty confident in the fact that the guy at earl may knows nothing at all and is selling random fish to people .

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

"The latter" means the second name I gave you, which was a form of Red Texas. These are another hybrid, like the Flowerhorns, except it is primarily based off a Herichthys x Amphilophus labiatus/citrinellus cross. The red doesn't always develop, but the resulting fish can still be somewhat colorful. However, the markings and head shape make me wonder if it isn't just an odd hybrid of something else altogether.

This is a young fish, and it is very difficult to predict what any of these hybrids will turn into.

9. Freshie_ Enthusiast 02

Freshie_ Enthusiast 02 New Member Member

Looks like a young flowerhorn without a nuchal hump developed yet, that's what it most looks like to me