What Is This?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GrouchyGuppies, Apr 17, 2018.

1. GrouchyGuppies

GrouchyGuppies Valued Member Member

I hope I'm just worrying for nothing.

In my betta fish's tank I just saw a tiny white worm of about 1 or maybe 2 millimetres in length swimming freely in the water. It was definitely a living creature as I could see it wriggling to move. I am wondering if anybody could identify it and let me know if it is dangerous? I looked online but couldn't find anything that looked like it. I tried to get a picture if it but I'm afraid I was too slow and it retreated behind the driftwood in the tank.

Thanks

2. Rok55

Rok55 Valued Member Member

Detritus worms

3. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Quite sure those are what they call detritus worms, I have read a little about them before. They are actually in the same family as tubifex worms. I dont think they are harmful either, but that may be a sign to vacuum your gravel.

4. OP
    OP
    GrouchyGuppies

GrouchyGuppies Valued Member Member

Ohhhhh, okay. They do look exactly like detritus worms but I thought detritus worms only lived on the glass, I didn't know they could also swim freely in the tank. Thanks a lot!

5. somethingingthewater

somethingingthewater New Member Member

I have those as well, in a tank I breed feeder snails in, and at first seeing them freaked me out, but I have definitely seen them swimming in the water column

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice