What Is This?

GrouchyGuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I hope I'm just worrying for nothing.

In my betta fish's tank I just saw a tiny white worm of about 1 or maybe 2 millimetres in length swimming freely in the water. It was definitely a living creature as I could see it wriggling to move. I am wondering if anybody could identify it and let me know if it is dangerous? I looked online but couldn't find anything that looked like it. I tried to get a picture if it but I'm afraid I was too slow and it retreated behind the driftwood in the tank.

Thanks

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Quite sure those are what they call detritus worms, I have read a little about them before. They are actually in the same family as tubifex worms. I dont think they are harmful either, but that may be a sign to vacuum your gravel.

GrouchyGuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Detritus worms
Quite sure those are what they call detritus worms, I have read a little about them before. They are actually in the same family as tubifex worms. I dont think they are harmful either, but that may be a sign to vacuum your gravel.
Ohhhhh, okay. They do look exactly like detritus worms but I thought detritus worms only lived on the glass, I didn't know they could also swim freely in the tank. Thanks a lot!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom