What Is This? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GrouchyGuppies, Apr 10, 2018.

1. GrouchyGuppies

GrouchyGuppiesValued MemberMember

For quite some time now some of the fish in my 25 gallon tank have had long, red, thin worm-like things protruding from their back ends.

I thought that they were callamanus worms but after treatment they have not gone away, in fact there are more now..

Please help me to identify them and tell me if there is anything that I can do.

The pictures are of my red guppy, who is the worst. The pictures don't do much justice but in real life there are about 4 or 5 of the 'worms' and they are red in colour. The longest is about 4mm long.

Screenshot_2018-04-10-19-14-17-1.pngScreenshot_2018-04-10-19-15-41-1.png

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Camallanus worms, a rather hard to treat parasites. It takes a little more effort to get rid of these guys than other intestinal parasites.

What did you treat them with before?

3. OP
    OP
    GrouchyGuppies

Wormer Plus, active ingredient is flubendazole. I actually ended up treating them with it twice.

4. Demeter

Did you vacuum the gravel daily when treating with the meds? Most meds, including flubendazole, only paralyze the worms and make them fall off/be excreted. The worms are likely to be re-consumed by the fish if not removed after treatment, causing the fish to re-infect themselves. There are other meds that kill the worms, but they are harder on the fish and will kill any snails and shrimp in the tank.

Read these links. Both recommend 3 treatments. You must remove all worms after they've fallen out of the fish. I'd honestly try using the more aggressive meds that kill the worms.

5. OP
    OP
    GrouchyGuppies

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I have some questions:
    will I have to wash the tank cleaning supplies before cleaning my other tank? Do the worms dig into gravel or will they just sit on top? Should I continue feeding as usual?

Thanks

6. Demeter

I would definitely wash the supplies between tanks, I think just a long soak in hot water or even mixing up a strong salt solution would be fine.

I'd feed as usual, but I'm not sure if the worms will dig all that much, hopefully they will be paralyzed for a while and you can get them all.

7. OP
    OP
    GrouchyGuppies

Thank you so much. How long after dosing will I need to clean the tank?

8. Demeter

I'd do it as soon as you notice fewer worms on the fish. I think one cite said 6hrs? Not sure though. I'd pick a good day or two that you have off to start treating so you can monitor them at all times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice