what is this?

mattbl

Reaction score
hi dose any one know what this is?
a couple of my fish have some strange things on their bodys kind of lump near head with raised scales but only in one place.
i have tryed many treatments with no change it dose not seem to bother them but just dose not look or seem right. they have had this for some time now.
i have moved them out to another tank due to treatment for cloudy eye using melafix which is great stuff.
i have put some pictures on so you can see thou the pic are not great but you can see what i mean near their heads

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: whats this

My guess, judging by the ulcer and spine curvature, would be tuberculosis. Be extremely careful of putting your hands in the tank and do not do so if you have any cuts or wounds. Tuberculosis is one of the very few diseases that can be passed from fish to humans and is very dangerous.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Re: whats this

That's scary Boxermom. What are other symptoms of TB in fish?

mattbl

Reaction score
lost first plattie out of three funny enough it the one that did not show any signs of tb or any thing but was placed in treatment tank for cloudy eye still treating both tanks with melafix 2 more days left

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the article Boxermom.

Note: There is debate whether a Mycobacterial infection can be transmitted from diseased fish to humans via open cuts or abrasions, although no cases of this have ever been confirmed.Thanks God!

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
And then there's this:

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It does not exhibit itself as the classic Tuberculosis that we think of as a lung infection rather a cellulitis of the skin around the wounded areas of the skin and is very difficult to heal. Diabetics have been known to have to have these areas debred-ed as if they were severe burns. The ulcerated areas can leave deep and lasting scar tissue which can even permeate the muscle tissue.

Rose

mattbl

Reaction score
the last pic is in swim but the body is not always that conjointed they are still vey lively and eating very well

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom