What Is This?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mmp4, Apr 22, 2017.

1. mmp4Valued MemberMember

I woke up and this was on my plant. I just added three fish last night. Is it a sign of a disease or something?

20170422_093516.jpg

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Those look like snail eggs to me. Do you have any? Be warned, those thing breed like rabbits. I would take it out now before they have a chance to hatch or you will literally be over run with them.

3. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

I don't have any snails. I haven't seen any snails in my tank either.

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Did you add any live plants recently? They most likely hitchhiked on them.

5. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

I added marimo balls yesterday. Shouldn't I be able to see the snails that laid the eggs?

6. el337

Not necessarily and maybe there are snails but you haven't found them yet. And a lot of snail eggs without snails hitchhike on plants.

7. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

Ugh...a snail infestation is one of my biggest fears.

8. el337

I'll admit it's not easy to completely get rid of them apart from tearing the tank down but you can definitely minimize the population by leaving veggie traps overnight and picking them out as you see them. Now I only find maybe 1 or 2 ramshorn snails a week.

I learned my lesson and now I do alum dips for plants before putting them in the tank. :)

9. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

I removed the eggs that I showed, but now I'm worrying about what I can't see.

10. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Snail eggs for sure. I dip any and all new plants even if they say its 100% guaranteed no snail eggs. Only takes a few minutes and fingers crossed, I haven't gotten any hitch hikers in over 20 years. Keep your eyes peeled for other clusters.

11. bryan32

bryan32Valued MemberMember

I had this happen to me. If you see a lot of snails then get an assassin snail. Mine cleared out a 20 gallon in less than a week

12. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

I dipped all of my plants, but didn't know to do moss balls. Now I feel dumb. So far that was the only cluster I found/ hopefully will find.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed, a game plan and some hope just in case. I really did not want to have to tear down my tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  13. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Anyone who has a planted aquarium has probably run into a snail problem at least once or twice in their hobby's career. I would just keep an eye out on your plants for new clusters, and if you see any on your glass, clean it off as soon a second you can, snail eggs are hard to clean from the sides of the tank. Assassin snails will clean up the problem easily, but I hate the idea of introducing more snails to get rid of other snails haha.

14. bryan32

bryan32Valued MemberMember

If you only get one assassin snail it will not reproduce on its own like the pest snails. It is also fun to watch its hunting behavior.

15. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

I suddenly find myself rethinking this whole planted tank idea, but Im definitely going to be watching this tank like a hawk...lol. I don't really like the idea of any snails to be honest, but I rather deal with one than a bunch.

16. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want snails? I think they add to the "natural" of a tank, and actually went to lfs and got a bag of "pest snails" (some were mts which I don't consider pests due to my sand substrate, and some where bladder snails which are true pests). Admittedly, I have a turtle and two puffers so I periodically scoop a bunch out of other tanks and drop them in their tanks to get eaten.

If the snails literally overrun a tank, it's easy to pop a bit of veg in a small tub, wait for the snails to swarm it then lift the whole lot out, majorly reducing the count whilst keeping some to continue.

Pointing out: it's perfectly fine to not want snails in your tank, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that your preference differs from mine and I'm curious.

17. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

My main issue is containment. I read that they can escape from tanks sometimes and I know I would absolutely freak out if they were crawling around outside of the tank. Lol
    I wouldn't be able to bring myself to touch them to put them back in the tank.

18. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Ha!
    Yeah, they can.

Although, only one of my tanks with snails in has a complete lid, the other six are at least partially open, and I've never had escapees, but that doesn't mean they won't.
    Or, could be the cat finds them before I do, so there's that...

I debated getting some of them diddy crabs, which as a rule I'm fine with but them lil ones look too much like spiders and if one of them snuck up on me I'd freak, so, I get where you're coming from, lol.

19. OP
    OP
    m

mmp4Valued MemberMember

Haha! I completely admire the look of snails just not in my tank. Too many escape routes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice