What is this?

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by wbc, Aug 2, 2015.

1. wbcValued MemberMember

I have been seeing this stuff on my glass for a long while. I thought it was cyano but I'm not to sure at this point. It grows on the glass starting heaviest on the bottom and moves up throughout the day. I scrub it once a day to keep it at bay bit I let it be on one panel for several days to see what it would do. It wipes of very easily it'd just annoying to do every day. It's only on the glass and equipment. I think there may be a patch on the rock in a place but I'm not sure. It's never on the sandbed ay all. Thanks for any help. (Sorry the picture is sideways)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

How long has your tank been setup? Looks like diatoms. I have the same algae growing on my glass, but with the use of mag float makes it super easy to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yep looks like diatoms to me also. I have some that I have to wipe down everyday with a sponge or paper towel. Also have an army of SAEs going at it sometimes.

4. wbcValued MemberMember

Thanks guys. I have a magnet scrubber and it comes right off with it. What does SAE stand for? And the tank was set up in March of this year. It's been an ongoing issue for a long time. Any recommended ways to fix it aside from daily scrubbing?

5. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

SAE stands for Siamese Algae Eater
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438553824.962199.jpg

The only other I can think of to fix diatoms is to use Seachem PhosGuard.

6. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Just keep scrubbing it, this algae is pretty easy to get rid of and it usually goes away on its own. Do you use RO Or RODI water?

7. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Not to divert away from the topic, but how effective is the mag float, it's a magnetic scrubber right? I been using a regular dishwater sponge and the diatoms that have been there the longest are being stubborn in coming off...

8. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yes it's a magnetic scrubber. Makes the job really easy. In my reef tank I would get tired of scrubbing down the algae with the regular algae scrubbers.

9. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Cool! So diatoms will become real easy to wipe off. What brand or where did you get it?

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

wbc,  
    Can't say whether or not it works because I've only been using it for a little over a week. But it removes silicates, the main nutrient that produces diatoms.

11. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Many brands sell magnetic cleaners. I believe aqueon sells some and Walmart has a few magnetic cleaners. But the one that is commonly used are the mag floats. I have the mag float. They sell different sizes, I bought mine at a yard sale today :D. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tropical-AGU030SM-Mag-Float-Aquarium/dp/B003WRKVUC

12. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Keep in mind SAE are NOT SW fish....just saying in case anyone reading this thread thinks it will solve their diatom issues.

I use Vertex algae magnets. More expensive, does the same thing basically.

Back to the SW tank at hand, how new is this tank? Are you using RO/DI Water for water changes? What lighting do you have, how long do you run it? Have any clean up crew?

Diatoms are an early plague, it's usually hard to avoid them and not to much use fighting them especially if the tank is new. Let it run it's course and use up all of the silicates. Remove what you can during your water changes and scrubbing but don't pull your hair out yet. If you are seeing them after the tank has been established trace it back, what did you add or change? Not using RO/DI water for water changes and top off will most certainly keep them coming back. Increase your flow to help it from settling.

There are multiple snails that will eat it, but kill the source and you won't need to introduce stuff to fight it.

13. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea sorry I'm an idiot, just realized this was in the SW section. That's the thing with the app. When you go to Unread, it just throws everything together... So would PhosGuard work for SW tanks also?

14. wbcValued MemberMember

So I have been running the tank sense the start of march this year. I use declorinated tap water most of the time, yes I know that's not very safe bit I'm going to start using RO water. I use LEDS and have had a habit of leaving them on for too long reaching up to 10 hours but try to keep it at 8. My cleanup crew includes a lawnmower blenny, several blue legged hermits, 3 turbos, recently deceased cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and a Sally Lightfoot. Hope that's helpful.
    Yes the magnet scrubber works very well for my tank, but I don't remember which one I have.

15. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I think the reason why you are still having diatoms is because you're using tap water. Yes phosguard I believe works in SW tanks as well

16. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Definitely what AquaticBrandon said, you using tap water is likely the entire reason you're having an algae outbreak. The sooner you can get yourself on RODI water, the better.

17. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Agreed with the above. Once you start using RODI I bet you see it subside.

18. wbcValued MemberMember

Allright thanks guys. I'm trying to find the best way to get RO water and will look into PhosGaurd as well.
    I thought I was ready for this tank but I guess I got a bit ahead of myself. Have to start somewhere though.

19. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Dont worry about it, everyone fights diatoms at one point or another. It's just the nature of new aquaria.

20. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

True for both freshwater and saltwater systems. But without RODI water in saltwater, you're fighting a major uphill battle as far as algae is concerned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice