What is this?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by fishynoob, Jan 6, 2013.

1. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

I presume a snail...
    I was wondering if any of you snail experts could identify this snail? I had a plauge of ramshorn snails that came in on some plants, and I think this is a different type of snail.

20130106_174153 by Night of Nyx, on Flickr

Please excuse the mess it was shortly after feeding time that I found this little one and it seems to be in a ramshorn nest but I don;t think it's a ramshorn.

The big pink one is hopefully a ramshorn its the small green/yellow/grey one I have not seen before.

And because I know you guys like pictures (and snails can't escape the camera that easily I thoght I would give you some shots of the ramshorns I am breeding (for their colour most of my others are really dark but when I find a light one it goes into "the love tank")
    20130106_190622_HDR by Night of Nyx, on Flickr

20130106_190901_HDR by Night of Nyx, on Flickr

then they decided to float to the top together...

20130106_191047_HDR by Night of Nyx, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Pond snail

3. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

The small one? I thought ranshorns got their name from the shell looking like a rams horn this looks more like some pasta shells!

4. Kiara1125

Kiara1125Well Known MemberMember

The big ones are ramshorn snails. The small yellow one looks like a pond snail. My tanks have tons of pond snails and they can vary greatly in color. I'm pretty positive that its a pond snail. Look then up. You'll see.

5. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

If its a pond snail and are you ready for my noob question? Is it ok in a heated tank? I think I've heard they breed like ramshorns (non stop)

Btw: Thank you for answering so fast!

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Yes they are okay in a heated tank.

7. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Excellent for now it shall be called Amelia then.

8. Kiara1125

Kiara1125Well Known MemberMember

You're welcome. Anyways, it's impossible to kill them and you only need one for eggs to start appearing. It's difficult to eradicate them, so if you want them then just leave then be. I had a rage quit with these guys and put them in a freezing cold tap water tank then made it boil. They lived ... xD still, care is easy and these guys are everywhere and are little hitchhikers. They'll eat anything from dead fish to algae to fish food. They're very adaptable and they are kinda cute once you get used to them. Another thing, they won't harm plants.