what is this?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rs0006317, Dec 20, 2012.

1. R

Rs0006317 New Member Member

hello there, i am fairly new to this aquarium stuff... i started out in September with a 2.5 gal tank.. i am now with a 20 gal tank.. any ways on with what i am freaking out about.. attached i have posted a picture of what looks like Styrofoam but isn't.. it just appeared in my tank this morning.. it doesn't smell and its hard.. anyone know what this could be?

i only have live bearers in my tank

- Betta fish (1)
    - gold dusted molly (3) (1 one month old) (4 total)
    - diamond molly(1)
    - strawberry platy (1)
    - gold cobra guppy(1)
    - silver platy(1)
    - mystery snail (1)
    - rubber nose pleco(1)
    - and a fry tank with gold dusted molly (16)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

Looks like mystery snail eggs to me.

3. OP
    OP
    R

thats what i was starting to think too.. but dont they need a mate? ive had this snail for a while now...

and how did it get on the lid?

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I'm somewhat new to snails so I'm not entirely sure on this but its possible she was pregnant when you got her or she just layed infertile eggs. Mystery snails are air breathers so they make regular trips to the top of the tank for air and I would imagine she layed them up there while on one of those.

5. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Alien spaceship

6. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

LOL I agree. Those certainly look like mystery snail eggs. How long have you had her? They do need a mate. But they can store sperm up for a crazy amount of time.... so it's possible she mated at the store. Orrrr, yes, they could just be infertile eggs. Thou, once a mystery snail clutch comes into contact with the tank water it is considered lost. Your snail probably laid it on either your tank walls above the water line or (less commonly) on the tank lid. Andddd it was either too close to the water line (how high up is your water?) or it got jarred loose (possibly by the pleco). So you probably just want to dispose of this. Even if it was fertile, the eggs essentially drown if they are submerged or floating on their own in the tank for any amount of time.

Hope this helps!

7. A

That was definitely more helpful than my post, good job kb9plc :)

8. kb9plc

Alien spaceship. Hahahaha
    :;laughing

Actually on second look at that pic, I see that it's on the tank lid..... at first I thought it was floating in the water. My bad! Your snail can literally pull a spiderman and crawl upsidedown on your tank lid. It's the goofiest thing to watch. She probably did this because there may have not been enough room for her liking above your waterline. They do lay these above water. Anddddd they try to release in the best spot they deam worthy for what is available at the time. There absolute last resort will be too close or in the water..... only because if they don't release the eggs they can get eggbound and die from it just like fish.

Okay. So either you can leave it on the lid...... more than likely your pleco won't be able to get at it to mess with it up there! LOL!!! Or you can remove it with a knife. If you want to see if it will actually hatch, be careful when you remove it and put it on either a piece of styrophome (floats well!) or a plastic lid of sorts.... and float it in your tank. You will want it to stay humid and moist BUT NOT WET. Some people will literally water their egg clutches with an eyedropper..... just a few drops and remove the excess. You can also float it inside of a breeder net if you are concerned your other fish might try to capsize it. It generally takes at least 14 days to hatch.... and the lil snaillings will just fall into the water. At that point they are up against a lot of elements to survive. So unless you purposely care for them in a breeder, you probably won't end up with 25 snails. LOL!!!!

9. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

wonder why the aliens chose to land in the fish tank... better start watching mine more closely.. maybe that's why the cat likes sitting beside the tank, she's on alien spaceship duty

10. kb9plc

OMG :;laughing
    Actually I call that Kitty TV. My tanks are not fish tanks.... they are there entirely for the purpose of entertaining my kitten. :)

11. A

My cat loves watching the fish tanks too! he sometimes looks at me like, "seriously... just tell me how they are floating in mid air..."

12. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks so much!! And I've had her since September as well...
    Kind of hoping they are fertile eggs tho :) loving the baby scene

13. Bumblebat

Bumblebat Well Known Member Member

Yes, those are mystery snail eggs. Unless she was expecting when you got her, they're likely infertile. Even of they were fertile, they don't always hatch if left alone. If you want to attempt to hatch fertile eggs in the future (if you get a male,) then you can pull the cluster off, place it on a wet sponge and float it in a Petri dish at the surface.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice