What is this?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by cameronpalte, Apr 23, 2012.

1. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

So you guys probably know this by now but some time ago I had a columnaris outbreak in my 55 wiping out 27/32 fish.

Now there are 5 fish remaining, 3 platies, 1 swordtail, 1 guppy.

The guppy seems to be going strong eating.
    The swordtail I'm not sure, looks to be swimming strong, haven't seen it eat as much as the guppy, and it also very recently gave birth but I think all the fry were eaten or sucked up by my filter.
    Out of the 3 platies when fish stopped dying (around a week ago) they were all not doing good just sitting on the bottom. One seems to be active again.

I am worried about my platies. They are not dead, but whenever I view them they are just sitting on the bottom not moving just staying in the same place. Rarely they move but for a majority they just sit upright on the bottom. 1/3 whose had this seems to be doing a lot better.
    There color seems to be slightly faded also.

What do you think it is?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

did the tank finally cycle yet? Sometimes when we cycle with fish, the effects can be for life. I hope the rest make it!!

3. OP
    OP
    c

The tank seems cycled. My nitrates are around ~5. I change water regularly whenever nitrites go up a little bit, I don't think its fully cycled. All 3 fish seem to be doing very well not fully active but definitely improving.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

When was the last water change and what percentage did you change?

5. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I would have to think those little fish in that large tank cannot produce enough ammonia for the bacteria to survive.....

6. E

Echostatic Well Known Member Member

They should be able to keep at least a small colony of bacteria alive, yes?

7. s

stashattack Valued Member Member

Is there such a thing as under-stocking a tank?

8. OP
    OP
    c

3 days ago, 25%

9. OP
    OP
    c

What would that mean is happening? What is occurring?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice