What Is This Wormish Thing

1. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

I just saw this white wormish thing in my 5.5 gallon pea puffer tank, can you tell me if it is harmful.

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Can you describe the little white wormy thing? Look through a magnifying glass if you can.
    Is it attached to the glass?
    Is it like sliding on the glass? Have eyes?
    Is it swimming in the water? After a water change or disturbing the gravel?

3. OP
    OP
    Little John

it is attached to the glass and I think it is sliding on the glass and I don't have a magnifying glass to see it. Also, it kinda looks like one side is bigger than the other maybe because there are eyes on that side?

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If you poke it does it contract into itself or does it swim in an s shape when knocked into the water. The 1st means its a planaria 2nd means detritous worm.

5. OP
    OP
    Little John

Are they both harmful or is just one harmful or are they both not harmful?

6. Gypsy13

Planaria can be harmful. Detritus worms the fish will eat. So which is it?

7. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

If the worm has a triangle or wider shaped head, kind of like a hammer head shark, it's planeria. If it's head isn't really distinguishable from it's body, it's detritus. Get your camera and zoom in really super close to it's head and see what shape it is. Don't worry so much about trying to get a perfect picture for us. Just try and get a good look for yourself.

8. OP
    OP
    Little John

here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

9. IHaveADogToo

It looks to me like that worm has a head. Like planeria. Can anyone else confirm?

10. OP
    OP
    Little John

If it is planeria what should i do about it?

11. Gypsy13

Hubby says it’s either got a head or it’s anchored to the glass. I’m of the mind, when in doubt, take it out. Carefully. Don’t break it.

12. IHaveADogToo

Planaria can be harmful to your fish, and unlike detritus worms, your puffers won't be interested in eating them.

If this is indeed planaria, which I think it is, you're going to have to remove the fish and bleach the tank. :(

Using 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, soak the tank, the gravel, and everything in it for 15-20 minutes. After, drain the bleach water away and rinse everything thoroughly until you no longer smell chlorine. Then fill the tank with water, and drain it again. Then it will be safe to be refilled and reused.

Bleaching the tank will indeed kill your bacteria colony, so your tank will need to cycle again.

Unfortunately, pea puffers NEED a cycled tank. They won't survive a fish-in cycle.

I hope you have another tank you can put your puffers in for a few weeks. :(

Now you see why I asked if anyone can confirm what I was seeing. I don't want you to have to go through this, but if it's planaria, you may have to.

13. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Is fenbendazole an option for getting rid of these guys? It'll kill all the snails, but shouldn't harm fish or shrimp. I've heard of people using it for this.

14. OP
    OP
    Little John

If I go out and buy a small tank and use a filter I already have that is cycled would that work?

15. IHaveADogToo

Is the cycled filter coming from the infected tank?

16. OP
    OP
    Little John

No

17. IHaveADogToo

Then yes, that will be an instant cycle.

18. Gypsy13

My two cents. IF it’s planaria, don’t go into panic mode. They’re harmful to shrimp and just kinda nasty but it’s not earth shattering. Cut back on the amount you’re feeding. Increase your substrate cleaning and water changes to daily. If you want to medicate, Fenbendazole will kill the worms without harming shrimp.
    Now, how do you make sure it’s planaria? Take a small piece of raw meat, put it in a mesh bag, leave in tank for a couple hours at the substrate. After lights out, pull out the bag. If it’s planaria, you’ll have a bunch of them.
    What else could it be? The pictures aren’t exactly clear but hubby says one end looks attached to the glass. Hydra? Plant leech? If it was me, I’d use the trap to make sure.
    No matter what, your best course of action is less food and more frequent siphoning/water changes. Just my opinion. Good luck. :)

19. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

There is no need to bleach your tank to deal with planaria. Planaria can not kill your fish although they migh eat fry.

Just vacumm your gravel and feed less.

20. OP
    OP
    Little John

Woops, I bleached the tank before I read any of the most recent comments.