What Is This Worm In My Aquarium?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by clk89, Apr 21, 2017.

1. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

In my ten gallon shrimp and snails tank I noticed these worms, there is about four of them so far. They are about the size of my pinky, maybe a bit longer when all the way stretched out. They are pinkish in color, kind of remind me of an earthworm looks wise but they seem to be able to stick with one end of their body. I was wondering what they are and if they would cause harm to my snails and shrimp? Also if they are harmful how do I go about getting rid of them?

These are the pictures I was able to get of one of them:

IMG_5533_zpsgcpb1xar.jpg
    IMG_5532_zpskxcds359.jpg
    IMG_5531_zpsufwr0yvl.jpg

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

earthworm?

3. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, looks like a standard earthworm.

4. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Leach?, just reach and get them, and if they are leaches and attach there selves to you just pore salt on them and they will fall off and die.
    Did you put anything new in your tank from the wild? When they move do they attach there front end and then pull the rear forward and then do it again to move?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

@yukondog I haven't put anything new in the tank in a long time, and nothing from the wild. He/she does attach with it's rear to move. I suppose I could turkey baster it. Leeches is probably the one thing I can't stand to touch as a bug lover lol.

I've never seen an earth worm move like this does.

6. Nanologist

Have you seen an earthworm under water before?

7. OP
    OP
    clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Yes I have, they wiggle about, but I don't recall seeing them actually stick with one end to move.

8. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

It looks almost like giant planaria. Take it out and see.if it can survive out of water

9. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

My first thought was leech.

10. Nanologist

Could be but I've had literally dozens of freshwater leeches on me in my lifetime and never have seen one like this.

I used to install docks in rivers and lakes all over the US and it was just part of the job. :p

Nothing like a hard day of work followed by burning leeches off your body before a shower...

11. Nanologist

I agree, taking it out and seeing how it behaves will be your best bet at figuring out what it is.

12. OP
    OP
    clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I'm going to try to take one out alive, but just thinking about leeches gives me the shivers. I use to swim in lakes as a kid and I always hated the leeches.

13. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

No idea what it is myself but the thought of getting leaches in one of my tanks.... Lord I'd probably dolly them right out into the desert sun fish and all... I'm not grossed out by much and never seen a leach but the thought of them. Nope nope nope. Would like to know for future reference for myself though.

14. OP
    OP
    clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

As an update I did manged to get them out of the tank. I also took a video of one moving around. It is very leech like, so this is your warning very creepy those who don't like leeches. Any other ideals what this could be?

15. Nanologist

That video helps a lot. Definitely a leech! You can see the rounded "sucker" mouth on one end. After seeing it move it brought back so many horrible memories of removing them off myself...

16. OP
    OP
    clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

@greenbonsai I want to like your post for the information, but then I also don't want to like your post because it's about leeches. :p That is so strange, I don't know how I even got leeches in my tank. For curiosity sake do you think they would cause harm to shrimp and/or snails?

17. Nanologist

Lol, I totally understand not wanting to "like" that post.

Not sure if it could kill one but given the chance it would definitely latch on and start feeding. If anything it would lower their immune system and they wouldn't fair well.

18. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Ahh! Leeches in a tank?! Has me questioning if I want to move forehead with this hobby! Hahah just kidding.

I would definitely do a thorough tank clean to get those out of there. They're going to get hungry and they're going to start feeding off of your fishes. They can also pass on disease and parasites to your fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice