What Is This Worm In Fry Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Goldiemom, Apr 20, 2018.

1. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Found this little worm in my fry tank. Can anyone I.D., please. It looks like it is full of blood. Only one in there. It was sitting on bottom of tank and appeared to be eating fish food.

Attached Files:

2. qldmickValued MemberMember

looks like bloodworm to me, which is actually insect larvae and not a worm. only ever had them in ponds and not indoor tanks.

3. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I fed dried blood worms to my adult fish last night soaked in garlic juice. Could a live one have survived in the dried? Wierd that I only had one.

4. BaraYoukaiValued MemberMember

Creapy....

5. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Huh, strange that does look like a bloodworm. What brand of worms were they?

6. qldmickValued MemberMember

the insects would of come from outside and layed eggs in your water. theres zero chance they came from dried food.

7. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I clean the water every night and do a pwc. I thought they preferred more stagnant water. I do have a garden pond on my patio and the fry tank is close to the patio door. I opened one of the other tank lids the other night and what I thought were mosquitos came out.

8. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

9. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

My best guess is midge fly larva, aka bloodworm. Midge flies look similar to mosquitos, which you said you thought you saw.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  10. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I agree after reading and looking at some in my other tank. I killed all that I could see but need to take the filters apart tonight. Anybody ever had these and have experience in how to eradicate them? I don't want them in with my goldfish fry at all.