What Is This White Thread Sticking At The Molly's Eyes?

Savera

Reaction score
Guys help!!! I just bought two black mollies with 5 of their offsprings yesterday and I just noticed now there's a white thread sticking at one of the molly's eyes. Help what is this? Is it a parasite? The fish seems to be fine and active and it is eatinf well. What should I do?

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That’s an anchor worm. Catch your molly and gently pull it off with tweezers. Hopefully it is the only one.

OP
S

Savera

Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the fast reply Demeter
Will it be ok? The worm is attached quite near at the eye? If I pull it out, will it damage the eye?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can remove or treat but you should act fast.
Since your fish is a molly salt is a known treatment .Use in a bath and do not add back the water from bath to tank .
That is if you don't just tweeze it off.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tweezing it off won’t hurt the fish too much. My mom’s betta somehow ended up with 5 anchor worms and I plucked them all off. He bleed a tiny bit in a couple areas but once they were gone he didn’t get any more.

If you start seeing more on other fish in the next few weeks you will want to use a med, but if it’s just one I say pluck it off.

OP
S

Savera

Reaction score
HI guys. I already plucked the anchor worms already. Apparently there are actually two, one near the eye one near the pectoral fin. And I put some aquarium salt. Anyway thanks guys I hope I was actually able to completely pluck those off

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just keep your eye out for other anchor worms and maybe do a few extra water changes in the next couple of days to prevent infection of the wounds left over.

OP
S

Savera

Reaction score
Ok thank you so much with the advices

New Threads