What is this, white spots on rams?

Mattsay

We have 2 gold rams in one tank, and three German blue rams and a Bolivian ram (I think) in another. 4 of them have this white stuff on their fins. I was thinking ick, but it doesn’t seem to be responding to ick treatment. We bought these four rams (in the pictures) at the same time. The other 2 rams we have don’t seem to be affected. (Although we did have an ick outbreak in both tanks about 4 weeks ago. And the ick looking spots went away on everyone else, but have now come back on these 4 newest rams, and now some of the spots seem larger than what I’ve seen with the past ick outbreak)
4 weeks ago, I treated the ick outbreak with raising temp to 86/87 and tetra ick guard.
Water parameters are normal.

angelcraze

I could see how you would be a bit alarmed having just treated for ich, but I don't think it's ich either. They remind of the marks seen on angelfish lately. Some guessed they were calcium deposits, they seem a bit too opaque white for scar tissue due to fighting....
Some were thinking it was a viral thing. The good news is it doesn't seem to hurt the fish and eventually fades away.

What is your pH, just curious?

Mattsay

We have 2 gold rams in one tank, and three German blue rams and a Bolivian ram (I think) in another. 4 of them have this white stuff on their fins. I was thinking ick, but it doesn’t seem to be responding to ick treatment. We bought these four rams (in the pictures) at the same time. The other 2 rams we have don’t seem to be affected. (Although we did have an ick outbreak in both tanks about 4 weeks ago. And the ick looking spots went away on everyone else, but have now come back on these 4 newest rams, and now some of the spots seem larger than what I’ve seen with the past ick outbreak)
4 weeks ago, I treated the ick outbreak with raising temp to 86/87 and tetra ick guard.
Water parameters are normal.
Her
I could see how you would be a bit alarmed having just treated for ich, but I don't think it's ich either. They remind of the marks seen on angelfish lately. Some guessed they were calcium deposits, they seem a bit too opaque white for scar tissue due to fighting....
Some were thinking it was a viral thing. The good news is it doesn't seem to hurt the fish and eventually fades away.

What is your pH, just curious?

PH is 7.
They have been fighting a lot though. Nothing major but maybe running into the driftwood pieces? Possibly.

angelcraze

PH is 7.
They have been fighting a lot though. Nothing major but maybe running into the driftwood pieces? Possibly.
Oh ok, I was just curious if pH was high, it is not. I've seen similar marks on the pectoral fins of my angelfish when they bump at eachother. Haven't seen it lately, but they fade eventually. Did they have these marks when you bought them?

vyrille

I've seen these before. If I'm not mistaken, it's lymphocystis. It's caused by a virus usually affecting stressed fish. I wouldn't exactly call this harmless, as the growths eventually enlarge into tumour-like growths and cause secondary bacterial infections. Although, if the fish have had these before they will eventually disappear, provided the fish's immune system learns to fight it off, as there is currently no known treatment except keep the primary cause, which is stress, at a minimum.

coralbandit

I run with angelcraze on this one . Seen more then a few angels with similar spots [some many more ]that went away .
As a ram guy the notion of lymphocystis is not unrealistic either as it is actually rams 'iridiovirus' [yea they got one too!].
I don't think it looks like lymoho IMO..
I do think you have 4 males .
What size tank and who share it with them ?
The Bolivian does not belong as rams [GBR ] need 80+ and that is not best for Bolivians ..

Mattsay

Oh ok, I was just curious if pH was high, it is not. I've seen similar marks on the pectoral fins of my angelfish when they bump at eachother. Haven't seen it lately, but they fade eventually. Did they have these marks when you bought them?
Yes the two blue rams had the marks on the top of their dorsal fin. And it seemed like they were scraping it on the driftwood. Then all the other marks showed up on the others after the ick and I was feeling paranoid we didn’t get rid of it. Thank you for your help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Roses
Replies
Views
Laurosaur
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views