What Is This White Spot?

1. DanniD

DanniD Valued Member Member

Hi, I have a school of lampeye killifish in an established 20 gallon tank.. I’ve got one who is the runt (so to speak) of the school that’s developed a white spot on the top of his body. Not sure what it is but it’s growing a bit and it looks like it’s eating into his spine? Like it’s indented?

I thought it was a fungus at first but it didn’t respond to treatment. Could it be a bacterial infection? What is the best way to treat this?

Temp: 80 F
    Ph: 6.4
    Ammonia, nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 10

Other tank mates: 3 chocolate gouramis, 2 german gold rams, 6 killifish, 4 otocinclus

2. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

It could possibly be ich

3. OP
    OP
    DanniD

No, I doubt it. The spot is much bigger and there is only one

4. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    DanniD

What makes you think it’s columnaris? I looked into it but I had a hard time diagnosing. What’s the best treatment?

6. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

Columnaris looks like that, (sort of like one big ich spot) and you can treat it with aquarium salt. When you see the disease gone do a salt flush.

7. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

100%, it's columnaris. Your going to need to start looking for secondary infections and treating for those soon also. Most of the time the wish will get a bacterial infection after this and then dropsy. Be prepared. This is a hard disease to fight.

8. OP
    OP
    DanniD

Thank you for the information! Unfortunately the fish didn’t make it. I’m worried about how contagious it is though.. should I treat my aquarium with a broad spectrum antibiotic to make sure things are ok?

9. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

in general, bacteria infections don't spread unlike viral. You should be fine. If it makes you feel better to dose the aquarium, that won't do any harm either.