What is this white fuzz and strands?

tuggythetugboat

I've read elsewhere that the white stands on my stems are actually roots, is this correct? Also it seems that there is white fuzz on my hairgrass, does anyone know what this is and what I could do to get rid of it. The hairgrass seems to be in the phase where some parts die off and new roots & stems grow in. My tank (UNS 30C 7G) is two weeks old and am just starting to see nitrites and nitrates. (3ppm nitrite, 5ppm nitrate) and I haven't been dosing anything but Seachem Florida weekly.Thank you in advance.

AggressiveAquatics

Most likely dying or dead leaves

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

With the hair grass, it looks like the emersed leaves are dying to make room for the immersed leaves. And, some algae is using the dead leaves as food and growing off of them. This algae should go away when their food source (dead leaves) is depleted (rot away). You could speed this up by removing the dead bits, if you can. I often trim all of it out, and let it sprout back.

With your stem plants, you are correct. Those are roots.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Kinda looks like root runners and hair algae to me.

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

With the hair grass, it looks like the emersed leaves are dying to make room for the immersed leaves. And, some algae is using the dead leaves as food and growing off of them. This algae should go away when their food source (dead leaves) is depleted (rot away). You could speed this up by removing the dead bits, if you can. I often trim all of it out, and let it sprout back.

With your stem plants, you are correct. Those are roots.
Okay awesome thank you for the reply, how long do you think it should be before I start to see new sprouts of hairgrass?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Okay awesome thank you for the reply, how long do you think it should be before I start to see new sprouts of hairgrass?
From what I can tell, it looks like your hairgrass has already started putting up some new shoots. The little bright green bits mixed with the dying bits I think are new growth.

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

Just started to notice that aswell, wasn't sure if it was some that haven't quite died off or new sprouts. I think you're right, they do look like new growth. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Willj626
Replies
Views
Mmbrown
Replies
Views
guthrieb08