What is this, white film on wood?

Meeki

I'm panicking. This is probably not algae: this looks like mold! There is a white film forming around this piece of wood I bought at a petsmart. I've only been running my tank for three days.

How do i make sure my tank is safe? I only have ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph, high range ph and phosphate kits.

MacZ

Biofilm. Absolutely normal. Bacteria are sucking all the leftover nutrients from the wood. It will be gone in a few weeks. You can also regularly siphon that stuff off.

But definitely nothing bad or dangerous.

Meeki

Biofilm. Absolutely normal. Bacteria are sucking all the leftover nutrients from the wood. It will be gone in a few weeks. You can also regularly siphon that stuff off.

But definitely nothing bad or dangerous.
Phew... I was so scared... I asked my mom to take it out... Should I ask her to put it back or can I wait until I come home?

MacZ

The stuff will be there until all the nutrients in the wood are extracted and used up. So no need to remove the whole piece of wood.

Gasio6844

I'm panicking. This is probably not algae: this looks like mold! There is a white film forming around this piece of wood I bought at a petsmart. I've only been running my tank for three days.

How do i make sure my tank is safe? I only have ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph, high range ph and phosphate kits.
Even better, if you have any snails or shrimp, they will start to munch on the biofilm. So perfectly safe.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
VSA
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
Jordan thomas
Replies
Views