What Is This Weird Dark Spot On Vermilion?

JustAFishServant

Hey all. This morning I went to check on my ol' boy Vermilion, one of my favorite Bettas who I have a very close bond to. He's currently my oldest boy and by far one of my favorites. Unfortunately, he's been on the decline recently due to old age, and has developed a small, dark spot on his scales near his dorsal fin. He's still eating and acting relatively normal, but of course isn't as active even with raised temperatures of around 82°F. What is it and what can I do to help? But first, a quick backstory behind him:

I rescued my little finned friend nearly 1.5 years ago from an abusive situation, along with Honey (aka the Queen of all Universes). He was only about 6 months old and wasn't in the best condition with dull colors, stress lines, and Fin Rot. He is now my oldest Betta at 23 months old! This boy has been with me through ups and downs and I would be absolutely devastated if I were to lose him. That's why I'm asking my fin-tastic fishy friends of Fishlore, what does this look like to you? Does it look like a scar, a disease, or just something due to old age? I apologize if the spot is a bit hard to see, so I made sure to make it more obvious. Any comments, diagnostics, or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone :)

IMG_20200920_110144~2.jpg

IMG_20200920_110129~2.jpg

IMG_20200920_095403~2.jpg

JustAFishServant

ANSWERS ARE NEEDED URGENTLY! Being a Betta enthusiast and rescuer for over 6 years, I have plenty of experience with various health issues. I have done research over the years and I'm hoping this is not a cancerous tumor. However, if it is, I will do everything I can to give him the best life possible.

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

What a lovely boy!

As my oldest boy ages, I too see spots that are dark on his body that are new. So far, it just looks like an age spot, if there is such a thing in the betta world. Until it becomes raised or bigger, I think that you could rule out a tumor. Only time will tell.

He looks very healthy! You have done a great job with him!

JustAFishServant

Rose of Sharon said:
Hi,

What a lovely boy!

As my oldest boy ages, I too see spots that are dark on his body that are new. So far, it just looks like an age spot, if there is such a thing in the betta world. Until it becomes raised or bigger, I think that you could rule out a tumor. Only time will tell.

He looks very healthy! You have done a great job with him!
Thank you so much for your comment!! Yeah, I try to give them the best life possible! Many people see fish as just "dumb creatures", but they're so much more than that! Instead of providing the minimum, like a tiny 2.5 gallon tank, I've given him a 40 gallon Long heavily-planted aquarium (I believe it measures approximately 12×48×12" or something like that). He's super happy with his 2 Amano and 10 Sakura Shrimp, as well as his 2 Red Racer Nerite Snails and 4 Otocinclus friends!! I love this boy so much and would be very saddened if I had to let go of him anytime soon. Though he's been acting a bit strange this past week or so, I'm most definitely not giving up on him!!

Top Bottom