what is this... thing?

1. cjwil

cjwil Valued Member Member

so at first I kept finding these little snail eggs on the side of my tank and I would keep crushing them and they would crunch like there were a baby snail in there BUT I haven't seen any snails at all. so I went to take a picture to show you guys and get your opinion and I noticed that it was moving! check out this video and let me know what you think it could be.

2. NanoNater

NanoNater New Member Member

Freshwater limpet,

Eats Algae, Beneficial inhabitant unless you dont like their sight.

I have a couple too, I see them when the lights turn on then they immediatly move towards the cover of substrate/carpet.

If there are too many use a dull blade scraper and swipe from the bottom of glass to the top of glass removing the limpets on the blade with each pass.

3. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

HI cjwil, I have seen these before and used to have a link before my last pc's hard drive died. From what I have read, they are not dangerous. I'm still searching to try to locate the link.

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

A dull razor blade will actually scratch up glass. youd want a new, sharp and clean as possible razor if your using it on glass. You also never want to pull it backward, but rather lift and then forward, as if anything gets trapped under it, scraping backwards will scrape it against the glass.

5. NanoNater

NanoNater New Member Member

CD-78481-FS61705R_004-fish.jpg
    Forgot to specify that I use and was reffering to the Kent Marine dull Plastic blade scraper, Picture above

I never mentionned to use a dull razor blade:;dk

6. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Oh ok when you said blade scraper I assumed you meant metal.

7. OP
    OP
    cjwil

cjwil Valued Member Member

yeah you're definitely right, that is what they are! hopefully I can get rid of them because they are not very good looking in my tank and they're actually in both of my tanks right now