What Is This Thing? How Do I Remove It?

Aldwin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I’m just cycling my tank for now, it has 0.25 ammonia, 1.0 ppm nitrite right now. Then I noticed that something is growing on my dry rock, on the sand bed too and some is on the glass they look like a small green hair. What are those? And how will I remove it?

Attachments

BettaFishyLuvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m not completely sure, but could it possibly be I think hair algae is what it’s called? I’m not really sure tho, I’m not good at identification. Idk how to get rid of it, wait till someone more experienced comes along

Jayd976

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like the start of green hair algae. Going to be a long exhausting fight to get rid of. When you started the tank did you use RODI water????

OP
Aldwin

Aldwin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jayd976 said:
looks like the start of green hair algae. Going to be a long exhausting fight to get rid of. When you started the tank did you use RODI water????
I did not. I just used tap water I have a nano tank so did not mind getting RODI.

Jayd976

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HUGE mistake. Saltwater Parma’s are very unforgiving. Using tap water is setting yourself up for disaster as you can see. That algae is difficult to irradiate once it takes hold.

New Threads