What Is This Stuff All Over The Glass?

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At first I thought it was water marks from dripping water (after water changes) on the outside but now I notice its on the inside.
After I realized that I thought maybe its marks from the air bubbles hitting the glass but I see that's its EVERYWHERE, from top to bottom and on all four sides.
For those of you who can't tell from the pictures its the white splotches everywhere on the glass.
This is a four day old tank with cycled media and material from a previous tank that had a leak.
Ive never seen this before, any idea on what's causing it? Its easy to rub off btw.
20180421_212546_Burst01.jpg
20180421_213024.jpg
20180421_213032.jpg
20180421_213043.jpg

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would just rub it off when it bothers you. It shouldn't persist forever.
Is biofilm on the glass like this normal for new tanks?
If I rub it off into the water would it hurt my fish?
And I have one mystery snail and one nuisance snail, would they make a meal of it?

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank had the same for like a month after I set it up. My two nerite snails were going around eating it. At some places it formed unified film and snails were leaving zig-zag traces in it all around the glass I just wiped it with sponge during water changes. It just stopped showing up at some point When it disappeared I actually got scared my snails wont have anything to eat but they are just fine

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Biofilm grows in every tank, though it's not always as visible as it is in yours. I don't think it's anything to worry about though!

Rubbing it off will not hurt your fish, and the snails should eat it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom