What Is This Stringy Green Plant?

Freshwateralex

Reaction score
I made a giant java moss tree, but the last time I bought java moss, it came with a hitchhiker plant, it's this thin stringy plant. At the time, thought nothing of it, but big mistake!

Now it's just impossible to remove, it grows like crazy, manual removal is a joke, it breaks so easily, so if a tiny bit remains, just repopulates like crazy. I both hate and admire this plant, the design of its survivalbility is something to admire, but hella annoying.

I had hoped maybe my siamese algae eaters or mystery snails would eat it, but nothing would touch it, I guess not the sae, but maybe snails.
15247516927046791057539864833523.jpg
15247517797474689284622440739018.jpg
15247518096234376311479187117269.jpg

So my question is what it is and also if there is a way to get rid of it? As I've said manual removal is basically impossible as I've spent countless hours removing it, but comes back strong, but not sure if this my only option.

If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't remember the name of it right now, i did find it once a while ago. I had a very similar experience to yours with this plant. I was collecting some freshwater plants from a lake while scuba diving and this turned out to be on one of the plants. The best thing i found to kill it is giving your aquarium a siesta period, and limiting the light. It appears to not cope very well in low light conditions and responds very much like an algae. I don't know what type of plants you have, but java moss won't have a problem coping with the limited light.

Freshwateralex

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, yeah I remember a YouTuber along time ago mentioned it, but can't remember the name of it and googling it didn't help, so turned to the forums.

I have tried limited lights or no lights a period of time. No lights wasn't the best, as that moss tree has grow a bit and did notice a bit of a melt in the java moss in the center, when lights are on it's fine. But less lighting only slows it down a little, which is great, but my other plants do suffer a little so is it worth it if it just slows the growth?

I honestly feel like its just a losing battle. But maybe someone has a answer.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like bladderwort (Urticularia gibba). No idea how to get rid of.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for confirming aniroc, I was guessing a species of bladderwort but wasn't for sure. Couldn't tell you the exact species though

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had it too. The only way to remove it is by hand. I tried a blackout and it just came back. Its the only plant worse then duckeed for having to get rid off it and i had an easier time dealing with cyano then that evil thing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom