What Is This Spot On My Platty?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ethan grassetti, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Ethan grassetti

Ethan grassetti New Member Member

I have 3 plattys 2 male and I believe this one is a female. She has a a big white spot on her head. Please Help!

Attached Files:

2. DeerPark

DeerPark New Member Member

It appears to be a mark from a physical injury. Upon close inspection, does your female have small white spots over her body?

Keep an eye on the mark. If it doesn't get bigger or go fluffy, she has most likely caught herself on something or been attacked

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Ethan grassetti

What does it mean if it gets bigger

No just on her head should I quarantine her ?

4. DeerPark

DeerPark New Member Member

Okay, keep her where she is for now. It does appear to be an injury, but monitor her for any changes in the mark. If the mark changes (gets bigger/furry), quarantine if possible as it may be a fungus and will require treatment (melafix does a good job).
    Are your water parameters okay? There is a slight chance it could be an ammonia burn, but that can be quickly checked out by testing the water.
    Anyhow, if the mark gets any worse in appearance and your parametres are okay, it's a fungus. Since there arn't any white spots over her body we can rule out ick.
    If the appearance of the mark improves, which is my guess, she will be fine

5. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Quarantine, Fresh water and observation. Fresh clean water is always the best thing for the fish. Melafix (and the other fixes) are just a waste of time and money IMHO, but may help a little just not enough to justify the cost in my opinion.

6. OP
    OP
    Ethan grassetti

Thank you but sadly she died. It's sad she was just acting normal again she was just staying in a rock or at the top she just started swiming again and got this fatal injury. Don't know what could have done it. Can you check my profile aquarium details to see?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice