what is this snail?

orion4211

Reaction score
I recently added live plants to my tent, and now see that i have a new creature. its a snail i assume, anyone know what its called?? its about 3cm in size

clear.gif

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Live plants often come with unwanted pond snails - these critters and their eggs can overwhelm a tank. Is there any sign of any more of them?

orion4211

Reaction score
nope, this is the only one that i have found.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
at 3 cm - you might want to be careful about eggs if you don't want any more. they do know how to take over a tank, esp if there's lots of excess food

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
griffin said:
at 3 cm - you might want to be careful about eggs if you don't want any more. they do know how to take over a tank, esp if there's lots of excess food
Many snails can reproduce all on their own, so just that one snail could be a threat to your fish. I'd remove it now and if you want to keep it, put it in some other container to keep your tank snail-free. Keep an eye out for eggs and/or more snails.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It looks like a Ramshorn snail to me. I've read these are not good for planted tanks. Read this: -- there are snail pictures there, so you can compare your snail to the snails from the article.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This snail is called "The Devil" LOL! No, actually I think it is a Ramshorn, and I have been disposing of these little devils since day one-- they just keep multiplying!!

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
on the plus side...its a really cute snail i think

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isabella said:
It looks like a Ramshorn snail to me. I've read these are not good for planted tanks. Read this: -- there are snail pictures there, so you can compare your snail to the snails from the article.
What fish are in the tank the snail was found in? Is it still in there? Any sign of more of the dreaded critters? Loaches love them btw.. a very tasty treat.

Toddnbecka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely a ramshorn, harmless to live plants. They will eat dead plant material, algae, and any leftover fish food they come across. If the snail is 3 cm, it will almost certainly lay eggs. Ramshorns are hermaphrodites, so every single snail is capable of laying eggs, Given an abundant food supply (it doesn't take much to feed a snail) one will soon be several dozen, then several hundred in a matter of a couple months.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom