What Is This? Silver Patch On Molly Fry Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Morgan Jenkins, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Morgan JenkinsNew MemberMember

Hey guys. My mom's mollies gave birth a month ago. Everything was going pretty well. The tank is 100% cycled, no ammonia spikes, no previous sign of disease... The other day, some of them started getting silver splotches on their heads. It's not fuzzy, no scales are raised, and they seem pretty active. However, some have died.
    This is the best picture I could get:

Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite is 0
    Nitrate is 200ppm
    Also, I use Prime and aquarium salt (I cut down on that in case it was the problem but nothing's changed)

2. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Is the Nitrate level a typo or is it really 200ppm. If it is, then I suspect this is contributing to the ill health.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Morgan JenkinsNew MemberMember

No, unfortunately that was true lol I'm not really sure about the levels because I don't have to deal with them in my actual fish tank, since I use live plants and everything's always 0.
    Will a water change help? How often should I do one?

4. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Yes, a water change will definitely help. I would do a large one 75% and then do another 50 % change a day or two later to get the nitrates down to a more reasonable level less than 40 ppm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice