What is this red mark?

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    Ive just been over inspecting my fish in the Guppy, Rosy barb and White cloud tank because i have a 6 month old guppy that i think is pregnant but that's another matter. Something has happened in the last 5 hours, there is a big red mark on my baby guppies cheek and behind her swimming fin. The water in that tank was tested 5 hours ago with readings of:
    pH 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Here she is:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you think she has been bitten by a Rosy barb? Or is it something else? This mark was not there 5 hours ago.

2. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Sab...

Barbs are fin nippers and can be aggressive toward other fish if you don't have enough of that particular Barb species for them to feel comfortable. You need a minimum of six. More is better. The livebearers, like your Guppies require a lot of floating plants in the tank. Guppies are very peaceful and need places to hide from bullies and their fry need the floating plants for cover. Once the Guppy fry are born, they immediately swim to the surface for air and to hide from larger fish.

I would get those floating plants in the tank asap. Individual stems of Water sprite, Hornwort and Anacharis (common water weed) are fast growers and will provide good hiding places for the Guppies.

Start feeding all the fish a little more and more often. I've found that well fed adult fish are less likely to bother the fry.

Old

3. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Old!
    Thanks, i have a school of 6 rosy barbs, i think perhaps the tank might be too small for them all though, that might be the problem. I took your advice and fed the fish for the second time today, normally i only feed them once a day. Im looking at getting a larger tank in a month or so, so everything might work out ok. For now though i just put another plant in there for the smaller fish to hide in :)

4. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Hornwort grows like crazy! I have a few that are 3 ft long

5. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

IMO that doesn't look like nipping damage, and the barbs are more likely to go for the fins than the body. Is the red mark on the surface or internal?

6. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Aster,
    Its very hard to tell, at one glance it looks like a chunk is missing and at a second glance it looks internal. Its no bigger today but its still bright red and all around her swimming fin and gill. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all, and none of the other fish have that mark on them. Its a bit of a mystery?

7. Aster

Hmm. If it's a surface wound it should heal easily on its own with clean water. If it's internal it might be something more serious like hemorrhagic septicemia. So it's not directly affecting her gills? Is it only on one side?

8. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Yes its only on one side and its more so around the swimming fin than anything. The water in that tank it good. Anything i should do?

9. Aster

Since you don't have a specific reason for it all you can do is give her clean water. If it's a serious wound you may want to QT her so she can recover in a stress-free environment, but otherwise just keep the water clean.

10. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thanks Aster,
    For now i will keep a close eye on her, if it gets worse or she starts to struggle i will QT her right away. :)