What is this? Rabbit snail “egg”?

Dewclaw83

2F303B83-65CC-4D74-9D5A-0F67F9783FBD.jpeg
What is this white ball? It rolls around a bit in the current. There are loaches and rabbit snails in the tank, and from the pictures it kinda looks like a rabbit snail egg(?) (I’m not entirely sure if it is technically an egg but).

So what is it?
If it is an egg, is there anything I can do to help it? Or just let it be? Will the loaches hurt it?

aussieJJDude

It looks like it is a rabbit snail egg, however after a couple of minutes the baby should hatch. I think it may be an unfertilsed egg.

richiep

Rabbit snail eggs are white but that looks way to big, how big is it

Dewclaw83

It looks like it is a rabbit snail egg, however after a couple of minutes the baby should hatch. I think it may be an unfertilsed egg.
I wasn’t there when I last checked a few hours ago so I’m not sure how long it’s been. If it is unfertilized should I remove it?

It’s probably half a centimeter across, maybe a touch more

aussieJJDude

They can get pretty big from the research I've done.

I wasn’t there when I last checked a few hours ago so I’m not sure how long it’s been. If it is unfertilized should I remove it?
It may be best for water quality, but the snails and kuhlies may like to eat it as it would be very nutritious. So I don't think any harm of leaving it until it starts breaking down.

richiep

I'm not sure how long they take to hatch maybe aussieJJDude knows, that's the only thing it can be

Dewclaw83

They can get pretty big from the research I've done.

It may be best for water quality, but the snails and kuhlies may like to eat it as it would be very nutritious. So I don't think any harm of leaving it until it starts breaking down.
I’ll leave it a little while and see what happens, thanks for the information!

kallililly1973

is your tank outside? It looks like a bird egg like a Robin egg.

Dewclaw83

is your tank outside? It looks like a bird egg like a Robin egg.
Lol nope! When I sent the picture to my dad he said it looked like I’d put a chicken egg in!

But it’s way too small for any kind of bird egg, guess the picture makes it look bigger than it is!

aussieJJDude

I'm not sure how long they take to hatch maybe aussieJJDude knows, that's the only thing it can be
All literature says a couple of minutes, usually around 5 or less but I swear I've read up to 10 somewhere? Dunno where, but I do know most say a couple of minutes.

Dewclaw83

All literature says a couple of minutes, usually around 5 or less but I swear I've read up to 10 somewhere? Dunno where, but I do know most say a couple of minutes.
Huh, okay. Well I made this post approximately 20 minutes ago and nothing has changed. So it’s pretty safe to say it’s unfertilized then? Or is it possible it “hatched” already? What would it look like if that had happened?

richiep

So I'm right in thinking the snail lays the egg and it hatches within minutes

aussieJJDude

Huh, okay. Well I made this post approximately 20 minutes ago and nothing has changed. So it’s pretty safe to say it’s unfertilized then? Or is it possible it “hatched” already? What would it look like if that had happened?
I may be wrong, never kept rabbits - but been researching like crazy as I'm getting a small handful in! - but I believe the egg will be broken and deflated somewhat.

Dewclaw83

I may be wrong, never kept rabbits - but been researching like crazy as I'm getting a small handful in! - but I believe the egg will be broken and deflated somewhat.
Fair enough, these are my first ones too! I also did research but figured I’d ask on here as well

Demeter

Poke it gently to help it "hatch". It will cause no harm to the little snail, you should see the white milky substance leak out and a little while later you'll have a baby snail. I've seen eggs about the size of my pinkie tip, so around 1cm or so.

I've never really heard of rabbits laying infertile eggs, I'd just assume they won't pop out anything if they haven't bred.

Dewclaw83

Poke it gently to help it "hatch". It will cause no harm to the little snail, you should see the white milky substance leak out and a little while later you'll have a baby snail. I've seen eggs about the size of my pinkie tip, so around 1cm or so.

I've never really heard of rabbits laying infertile eggs, I'd just assume they won't pop out anything if they haven't bred.
Nothing had changed since my post, so I just pulled it out with a turkey baster and put it in a cup of water and poked it as you said. Milky stuff did come out, but there was nothing inside, it deflated completely. Maybe it was unfertilized?

Demeter

Then I guess it was infertile, that’s pretty weird!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom