What is this? Possible fungal infection?

FoldedCheese

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? Almost 6 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta and maybe 2 bladder snails somewhere

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
once per week
How much of the water do you change? 50-60%
What do you use to treat your water? prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
No, I did a fish-in cycle
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
twice daily, one fasting day per week.
How much do you feed your fish? 2-3 pellets per feeding
What brand of food do you feed your fish? nutrafin cichlid bugbites, omega one betta buffet, omega one frozen bloodworms + brine shrimp
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? I initially thought he had injured himself and lost a scale, but now his injury has a wispy, cottony looking growth around it.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No other noticeable changes to appearance or behaviour.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I thought Mick injured himself and was just missing a scale so I've been doing a 25% WC every other day. He's injured himself before and I've had no issues helping him heal in the past, but this injury doesn't look exactly the same as his other one, it kind of reminds me of a sore not a clean wound. This morning I noticed that around the area, there is white, wispy, cottony looking growth. I've been messing around with my tank quite a bit, and I wonder if I accidentally introduced a fungus or harmful bacteria... The only things different are I recently are adding 3 new plants, driftwood, had some bladder snails make it into the tank, started feeding him a new pellet, and cleaned my filter box last week. Is this some kind of fungal infection? Can this be treated with aquarium salt only?

Injury.jpg

Injury2.jpg

FoldedCheese

My LFS is closed today, but should I try treating with salt when I can get some? I plan to continue with WCs every other day because it can't hurt... I just don't know what exactly this is or what caused it. Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

I really need a second opinion here. He's currently been in a 1 TSBP per 5 gallon concentration of salt for 1 day, I've seen some improvement in size, redness and the "fuzz" from around the wound is almost gone. Now he has a fairly clean line underneath original wound, almost looks like a cut.... I can't tell if it's physical injury or if whatever is going on with his body is spreading. I've dealt with healing missing scales with him, but this seems different, it came out of nowhere and the tissue did not look pink and healthy like it did when he previously injured himself. I could use some insight.

Tomorrow is a 50% WC day, and I'll be increasing the concentration of salt to 2 TBSP per 5 gallon.

10/13

10-13.jpg

10/14

10-14.jpg

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

Sorry, I really want to help but I am not sure what it is. I think It was just a cut with a fungal infection growing on it. Here is a article that is a must read on aquarium salt.

Thank you, I've read the article I also think it might be physical injury with some kind of infection, but being the neurotic fish owner I am I need to know. I'll remove the driftwood during tomorrow's WC but wow this is why we can't have nice things.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Thank you, I've read the article I also think it might be physical injury with some kind of infection, but being the neurotic fish owner I am I need to know. I'll remove the driftwood during tomorrow's WC but WOW MICK this is WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS DUDE. hilarious
lol, driftwood releases tannins that help fungal and bacterial infections. So, I wouldn't remove the driftwood. Also, bettas can stand high salinity. (not crazy insane saltwater high) Fungal and bacterial infections always strike when a fish is weakened or has a open cut. So, just some tlc, salt, and and tannins. Hope your buddy makes it!

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

lol, driftwood releases tannins that help fungal and bacterial infections. So, I wouldn't remove the driftwood. Also, bettas can stand high salinity. (not crazy insane saltwater high) Fungal and bacterial infections always strike when a fish is weakened or has a open cut. So, just some tlc, salt, and and tannins. Hope your buddy makes it!

I was in the middle of creating a blackwater aquarium before this so I know all about tannins . I'm removing the driftwood because it's the only possible piece of hardscape he could have scraped himself on and I have no idea how he got the cut so I'm blaming the wood. I'll need to dry it and sand it really really well or get a new piece.

Thanks! He seems to be healing nicely. Today I did his regularly scheduled 50% WC and increased salt concentration to 2 Tbsps per 5 gallons. Tissue is looking less red, fuzz is completely gone and his behaviour and appetite have remained the exact same so I have no doubt he'll make it. Lucky him, he's been getting extra frozen bloodworms while healing for extra nutrients.

10-15.jpg

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

lol, you gotta love the food. If you are wondering who I am I am the same person who talked about bettas in cups with you tail biting, and plakat bettas and the same person who helped you out on this thread. My old username was bettaandcorylover and my new one is betta's are superior. If you don't know what I am talking about here are some links, lol sorry to diverge from your question.

TL;RD I am the same person not a different one.

How long does it take betta fins to grow back? | Betta Fish Forum | 475474

I finally changed it.... | General Discussion Forum | 475589

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

lol, you gotta love the food. If you are wondering who I am I am the same person who talked about bettas in cups with you tail biting, and plakat bettas and the same person who helped you out on this thread. My old username was bettaandcorylover and my new one is betta's are superior. If you don't know what I am talking about here are some links, lol sorry to diverge from your question.

TL;RD I am the same person not a different one.

How long does it take betta fins to grow back? | Betta Fish Forum | 475474

I finally changed it.... | General Discussion Forum | 475589

Lol thank you for the clarification. I like the name change! Bettas are superior.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Lol thank you for the clarification. I like the name change! Bettas are superior.
haha,lol! ikr!

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

Quick update, almost 1 week later he is almost 100% healed. I think I'll keep the current salt in for another day then do a 50% WC tomorrow to remove most of it and another 50% during his regularly scheduled WC on Friday morning.

10-18.jpg

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Quick update, almost 1 week later he is almost 100% healed. I think I'll keep the current salt in for another day then do a 50% WC tomorrow to remove most of it and another 50% during his regularly scheduled WC on Friday morning.

10-18.jpg
Yay!! Nice to hear that! Also, isn't that your profile pic betta? The fungus looks all completely gone!

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

Yay!! Nice to hear that! Also, isn't that your profile pic betta? The fungus looks all completely gone!

Yep, the one and only. The fungus actually went away after about 2 days, but I continued treatment until he was fully healed just to be safe.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Yep, the one and only. The fungus actually went away after about 2 days, but I continued treatment until he was fully healed just to be safe.
Yup! Better safe than sorry!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OutsideFoodBlob
Replies
Views
kinsey12345
Replies
Views
Luckyscale2003