What Is This Pleco

1. t

ttlz202 New Member Member

I found it LfS and they named it

"Chocolate Zebra Pleco"

However, there are many pleco which is called chocolate zebra pleco as their common name. I could not find what is it clearly. What is this pleco?

What does it eat? Algae?
    2018-05-21-21-52-34.jpg

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Yes, they eat algae and leftover food on the subtrate and glass of the tank. You need to feed them also though. They eat algae wafers, cucumber, zucchini, etc.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Are you sure about that? To my knowledge and information they are mainly carnivorious and definitely no algae-eater.

4. Goldiemom

Well, I’m no expert on them. The Lfs did sell me mine for algae issues and they do the trick. I was also instructed to feed them algae wafers. Anyone else?

5. DoubleDutch

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

You may have gotten a different species of Catfish from another genus. There are a number of species in the genera Peckoltia and Panaqolus that have a similar appearance. Panaqolus, often called Clown Plecos, are wood and great algae eaters. People are often surprised to hear that some Plecos actually prefer meaty foods, especially when it's one of the smaller ones.

7. DoubleDutch

This doesn't really look like a Panaquolus to me CD. Those need some meaty food in their diet as well to my knowledge ?

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think OP's fish looks like a Panaqolus, I was trying to explain to @Goldiemom why her fish may have been algae eaters. Even experienced aquarists have a hard time telling these species apart sometimes. My L-number book describes Panaqolus as wood eaters, also taking vegetarian foods. My own experience with P. maccus is that it is a wood and algae eater.

However, Peckoltia and Hypancistrus are listed as omnivores, with insect larvae and other meaty foods listed first. Talking to breeders, I've been told that Hypancistrus much prefer a diet of shrimp and insect larvae.

9. Goldiemom

All these fancy names. All I know is that I have a bn pleco that eats algae. I was just trying to answer the initial question. I have no issues with my pleco but thank you for the lesson. You can always learn on this site.

10. DoubleDutch

Hahaha and even BN's are omnivores as well !!!!

11. BobNJerry

BobNJerry Valued Member Member

not all Placo's eat algae - huge misconception in the hobby.

i'm not sure if i'm allowed to offer a youtube but Dustin's fish tanks on youtube did a video on Pleco's and what they eat and i believe yours was one of the species he talked about.

12. Goldiemom

ttkz202 - I hope you were able to get your answer in all of this. I think it got derailed.

13. C

Coptapia Valued Member Member

Looks to me like a Hypancistrus. Planetcatfish lists one species called chocolate zebra plec and it is a Hypancistrus. They're mainly carnivores. They will eat algae wafers etc but need meaty foods aswell (normal higher protein fish foods).

14. Goldiemom

Wow! So much info on a a creature that we hardly ever see. This was all very interesting though. Thank you all. I love smart people! :emoji_fish: