What Is This Plant?

Thomas Hobbs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
image.jpg
Hi all,
Wondering if you can help. I bought a second hand tank and within the last few months a plant has popped up and I have no idea what it is. It's growing well and I've been able to take the tops off and plant them again.
They are growing so quickly and seem to have a few different leaf structures.
Cheers guys

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it is a species of hyrgophila

Thomas Hobbs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looks like Hygrophila Corymbosa to me. It grows well in low tech, and will grow big and fast.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Culprit said:
Looks like Hygrophila Corymbosa to me. It grows well in low tech, and will grow big and fast.
If its corymbosa it has an iron deficiency. I dont think its Corymbosa due to stem color and the way its growing. All the ones I've had and seen are more red stemmed and grow leaves 4 to 6 at a time with the stem growing rapidly in the middle. Could be my tank and the ones I've seen though, as, other than that it looks exactly like mine.

Edit: in any case, if you want to propagate it, cut just below where it's growing roots in the middle of the stem and plant the upper portion. The lower will still grow.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I mean it is growing in low tech, most plants need high/medium light to develop reds. Pretty sure its just converted to low tech.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm low tech. Got another light so I could split the photo period and apparently to convince me I needed otos and amanos lol.

If that's anacharis growing with it, I cant help but think the tank is very warm or very well lit which would also explain the growth as well. Either way, if its corymbosa, adding some iron will really make it look amazing.

Edit: lol, and it's not anacharis. Just looked again and it's the crazy roots that plant has that looked like spindly anacharis.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely a hygrophila, I dont think its corymbosa either. We have a 40 FULL of corymbosa and it looks nothing like that. Corymbosa has a tree-like trunk to it and the leaves come in "packs", not just one here and there.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe hygrophila siamensis. It does appear quite leggy, but that's to be expected in a lot of low tech tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom