What Is This Plant?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Thomas Hobbs, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Thomas HobbsNew MemberMember

image.jpg Hi all,
    Wondering if you can help. I bought a second hand tank and within the last few months a plant has popped up and I have no idea what it is. It's growing well and I've been able to take the tops off and plant them again.
    They are growing so quickly and seem to have a few different leaf structures.
    Cheers guys

Attached Files:

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

it is a species of hyrgophila

3. Thomas HobbsNew MemberMember

Thanks buddy

4. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Looks like Hygrophila Corymbosa to me. It grows well in low tech, and will grow big and fast.

5. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

If its corymbosa it has an iron deficiency. I dont think its Corymbosa due to stem color and the way its growing. All the ones I've had and seen are more red stemmed and grow leaves 4 to 6 at a time with the stem growing rapidly in the middle. Could be my tank and the ones I've seen though, as, other than that it looks exactly like mine.

Edit: in any case, if you want to propagate it, cut just below where it's growing roots in the middle of the stem and plant the upper portion. The lower will still grow.

6. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

I mean it is growing in low tech, most plants need high/medium light to develop reds. Pretty sure its just converted to low tech.

7. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

I'm low tech. Got another light so I could split the photo period and apparently to convince me I needed otos and amanos lol.

If that's anacharis growing with it, I cant help but think the tank is very warm or very well lit which would also explain the growth as well. Either way, if its corymbosa, adding some iron will really make it look amazing.

Edit: lol, and it's not anacharis. Just looked again and it's the crazy roots that plant has that looked like spindly anacharis.

8. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Definitely a hygrophila, I dont think its corymbosa either. We have a 40 FULL of corymbosa and it looks nothing like that. Corymbosa has a tree-like trunk to it and the leaves come in "packs", not just one here and there.

9. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Maybe hygrophila siamensis. It does appear quite leggy, but that's to be expected in a lot of low tech tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice