What is this plant? Thank you.

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
I put gravel and filter in the cycles tank.
Today I picked up plants not sure what they are. This tank will be for guppy babies, till they grow big enough, I still want to see if they will be alright for three days then let them out.
Any idea anyone?

EEFB2DA1-46E2-43D8-BB27-9DE301F64AA0.jpeg

82C08804-EF7E-4BD2-96A8-12F6BD0ED09F.jpeg

JustAFishServant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Those are all Java Ferns!! Beautiful plants they are! But you may eventually have to remove most of them...

Java Ferns get BIG, and can reach as big as 14", both high and wide. They become these gorgeous bushes, almost, and will fill up your tank quickly!! And the best part about these plants is that they don't need any special care. They're as easy as an Anubias!! And if I can suggest keeping the ferns in your tank for a few months, then once they start becoming big, keep about 3 plants in the tank. Remember, they grow large and will take over whenever they can! Hope this helps! Good luck with your plants!! :D

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rhizome does better attached to something like driftwood, rock or float, not advised to plant them in substrate as the rhizome will rot. Easy to tie them on with thread or super glue jel. They like low light and regular doses of liquid fertilizer. Some good ones are Thrive or Easy Green. They are great starter plants and easy to propagate.

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
JustAFishServant said:
Those are all Java Ferns!! Beautiful plants they are! But you may eventually have to remove most of them...

Java Ferns get BIG, and can reach as big as 14", both high and wide. They become these gorgeous bushes, almost, and will fill up your tank quickly!! And the best part about these plants is that they don't need any special care. They're as easy as an Anubias!! And if I can suggest keeping the ferns in your tank for a few months, then once they start becoming big, keep about 3 plants in the tank. Remember, they grow large and will take over whenever they can! Hope this helps! Good luck with your plants!! :D
i have 3 other tanks 39, 30 and 55 gallons, I hope they will grow fast like you said. (So I can put in all tanks. Hehe)
Any trick to make them staying on bottom???
Some of them float (got away from the gravel, a fb user gave me, they are so pretty. I were shocked how kind she gave me those many.) so I put in the breeder box. :p

Attachments

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Elkwatcher said:
The rhizome does better attached to something like driftwood, rock or float, not advised to plant them in substrate as the rhizome will rot. Easy to tie them on with thread or super glue jel. They like low light and regular doses of liquid fertilizer. Some good ones are Thrive or Easy Green. They are great starter plants and easy to propagate.
Wow.
Thank you.
Yes, I were surprised several of them get out of gravel. Yes yes yes, I will use gel glue to do that. Thank you.

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Elkwatcher said:
Found it!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just tie them (not too tightly to cut off circulation) to rocks or driftwood with thread. Cotton thread melts completely when the java plants take root, and polyester thread does not disintegrate. If the leaves start to dry, I will dunk them back in the water. You could work on a cutting board with a wet paper towel.

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
angelcraze said:
I just tie them (not too tightly to cut off circulation) to rocks or driftwood with thread. Cotton thread melts completely when the java plants take root, and polyester thread does not disintegrate. If the leaves start to dry, I will dunk them back in the water. You could work on a cutting board with a wet paper towel.
Thank you. I’ll do on weekend so I have time for all of them. :)

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petchratn said:
Thank you. I’ll do on weekend so I have time for all of them. :)
Yeah one at a time. Leave the rest submerged in water. If you super glue them, the glue I have dries in seconds. But I don't like the glue when it leaves a white coating.

JustAFishServant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Petchratn said:
i have 3 other tanks 39, 30 and 55 gallons, I hope they will grow fast like you said. (So I can put in all tanks. Hehe)
Any trick to make them staying on bottom???
Some of them float (got away from the gravel, a fb user gave me, they are so pretty. I were shocked how kind she gave me those many.) so I put in the breeder box. :p
Oh, that's easy!! One of the best ways to keep a Java Fern down is by using Superglue (yes, it's perfectly safe for fishies!). Superglue the roots to a rock and they'll stay down! You can find tutorials on YT if you need any help! Good luck!! :D

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petchratn said:
View attachment 641303
Some roots are coming out of the gravels already:eek:
That is good, they shouldn't be planted. Only the hairs beneath the green rhizome (the horizontal stem part that the leaves attach to) get attached to something. The rhizome has to be above gravel like the one in the middle. The rest could be pulled up a bit actually.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For my rhizome plants i like to use the tiny clear elastics to hold them to my hardscape then when the roots grab you can cut the elastic and they will continue to hold to whatever you attach it to for good. Never used superglue so can't comment on it. Seen videos on it and it also seems like an easy way as well.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
For my rhizome plants i like to use the tiny clear elastics to hold them to my hardscape then when the roots grab you can cut the elastic and they will continue to hold to whatever you attach it to for good. Never used superglue so can't comment on it. Seen videos on it and it also seems like an easy way as well.
Oooh I really like this idea for moss too! I might even try moss again.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
Oooh I really like this idea for moss too! I might even try moss again.
My girlfriend actually came up with this great idea cause i was always trying to tie plants with thread and well u may know how well that goes. She found the tiny elastics at the dollar store it was 500 or so for $1 i think their used for braiding hair or something like that. They worked great so far for me. Even with the tiniest java fern pieces. and it doesn't strangle them
Edit funny u mention the moss i just used one on a clump of java moss in my 55 on a piece of DW

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
angelcraze said:
That is good, they shouldn't be planted. Only the hairs beneath the green rhizome (the horizontal stem part that the leaves attach to) get attached to something. The rhizome has to be above gravel like the one in the middle. The rest could be pulled up a bit actually.
Ohhhh, that would be awesome because I see baby fish like to swim to root tunnels, since this won’t hurt the plants, baby fish can enjoy for a bit.

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Oh! Sounds even easier. :):)
Today I went to Walmart got a roll of 700 ft of 10 lb fishing line (for only $1.97 for this project. :) I can safe it to diy larger breeder box then.
I will see if I can find some clear elastic from local stores.

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
My girlfriend actually came up with this great idea cause i was always trying to tie plants with thread and well u may know how well that goes. She found the tiny elastics at the dollar store it was 500 or so for $1 i think their used for braiding hair or something like that. They worked great so far for me. Even with the tiniest java fern pieces. and it doesn't strangle them
Edit funny u mention the moss i just used one on a clump of java moss in my 55 on a piece of DW
She’s sure awesome :happy:

Petchratn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nobote said:
Magic thread is pretty easy, no knot neccesarry.
Wrap it around something 6-7 times...pull amd snap it off...thread stays put.

Atlas Magic Thread | Atlas Mike's Bait
Wow, so stretchy.
I googled the video for that it looks awesome, and found out that if you work with soft stuffs like tie with sponge etc, this has advantages over the dental floss.
But if you tie with something harder like wood or rock, dental floss can also do the job.
If Atlas Magic Thread has clear color would be nice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom