What Is This (pic) Killing All My Rams?

ExpertBeginnerHA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i don’t know if this is hole in the head or not but over time I have lost a ton of rams to this and I have treated it as hole in the head as well as a fungus and I don’t know if I am treating it too late or what but any single fish that has gotten it has gotten worse and died whether I quarantine and do not treat, do not treat and leave them in the main tank so as not to stress them, treat the whole tank while leaving the ailing fish in there, or quarantining and treating. I feel like they have all died much quicker when I quarantine and treat, then second quickest when I quarantine alone. They make it longer without treating in the main tank and just doing water changes, and when I treat the whole tank...but whatever I do, it always leads to death. I’ve lost 4 in a week and a half to this. Three German blue rams and one gold ram. This is my last big male that was amazingly healthy looking for many months and extremely colorful, and now he has “it”, whatever it is, and I can tell he will be dead by the time I get back from the barn in a few hours, if not, certainly by the morning. He is quarantined right now which I am sure is going to seal his fate. I have 5 females left now out of 10 GBRs and one 1 female Gold ram left out of two.

Tank parameters are all great with only reading from master test kit between 10-20ppm of nitrate as usual. pH around 7, ammonia and nitrite both a beautiful zero. Tank has been running 10 months. THIS has been a constant issue with my rams and I have no clue why.

Picture is while he was in a holding/breeding container so I could get pictures. He is now in a quarantine tank with water from the main tank and a little jungle buddies fungus clear. I am happy to give him 100% water change and change medications if that will help or you think the water is too contaminated. I did a 50% water change two days ago when I lost my last one and vacuumed sand that day and I just moved everything in the tank to find him and vacuumed again really really good.

Tank is currently at 85 degree as is his quarantine because I WAS treating for ick and no one seems to have it anymore so I am likely going to start being the temp down next week (leaving it high just to ensure death to ick that has fallen off).

Please help, I love my rams but this is the only thing that seems to continually cause me to lose them and I’m startibg to want to just give up on rams and find something easier at this point. I feel like it’s only a matter of time before the next one gets this spot.

Ps, sometimes it’s only one spot, sometimes it has been two and up to three. Usually on the head or face, but occasionally on the body.

Please help my rams

The last picture is of this guy healthy a few days ago

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well shoot, I am sorry to see that you are having to deal with more illnesses.

I don't know much at all about fish diseases or how to heal them so will just bump this up for you hoping someone that does know will be here to help you.

ExpertBeginnerHA

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you @mattgirl . I’m actually trying to sell the 75 gallon set up and everything except a few fish to keep in a 20 gallon. My little heart keeps breaking with these guys. But on a positive note, my water parameters have been extremely stable!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom