10 Gallon Tank What is this on my lettuce?

Maryellen

10 gal tank, houses 10 neocaridina shrimp, 4 otos, 1 betta.
I blanch and feed lettuce once a week for everyone to snack on.
Put lettuce in yesterday, went to remove it this afternoon and found all these bugs? On it. Seemingly too fast to be snails, they dart around like crazy. Weren’t on any other aquatic plant, just the lettuce, but have spread to other areas! No clue what it is.. harmful, harmless? Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you !

Attachments

• 7E4E3FFB-CA13-41E7-8E6E-7BCEDBAAAD2B.jpeg
    7E4E3FFB-CA13-41E7-8E6E-7BCEDBAAAD2B.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 14
  • AAE8172D-D43F-48A7-A399-BE94E3CD100A.jpeg
    AAE8172D-D43F-48A7-A399-BE94E3CD100A.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 14

richiep

They are seed shrimp completely harmless and have taken advantage of the lettuce

JLAquatics

10 gal tank, houses 10 neocaridina shrimp, 4 otos, 1 betta.
I blanch and feed lettuce once a week for everyone to snack on.
Put lettuce in yesterday, went to remove it this afternoon and found all these bugs? On it. Seemingly too fast to be snails, they dart around like crazy. Weren’t on any other aquatic plant, just the lettuce, but have spread to other areas! No clue what it is.. harmful, harmless? Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you !
The pics make it a little hard to tell but they almost look like Seed Shrimp to me. If I am right, these guys are completely harmless in your aquarium and actually are present in most if not all healthy aquaria. If you begin to see more of them than usual, it means you have an overabundance of food sources in your tank which in your case is the lettuce.

Maryellen

Oh fewh! I was on panic mode and already started an emergency water change. Thanks guys! Creepy little buggers!!!
Welp… do you think my pea puffers would eat them ?lol!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• SuperSword48
  • Gourami
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • Question
Replies
Views
eggshell
Replies
Views