Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

What Is This On My Guppy

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by aquagirllover, Apr 18, 2019.

1. aquagirlloverValued MemberMember

He’s fine and healthy as far as I can tel I just have a mad breeding ground right now maybe he isn’t fully developed? But he’s from like two fry groups ago and growing bigger just wondering what that is on him

Attached Files:

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

It's hard to tell with the reflection glare but it looks like he either has
    1. Ruptured abdomen with intestines protruding or
    2. Birth defect, hatched with intestines on outside of abdomen.
    It is possible that is a parasite attached to him but I doubt it.

3. aquagirlloverValued MemberMember

Yeah no one else is sick and I have t introduced anything new in months I think he was born that way but it is his intestines?

Here’s better photo

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  4. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

This is often times called prolapse, the outlook is grim.
    If she was born this way (this is likely a female not a male) she may survive a bit, but it is likely she will die soon, and may be suffering.
    If she was born this way, I would halt your breeding ground as best you can, because this means this is a birth defect and it may continue to happen due to muddled genes, meaning your fish are likely inbreeding amd will only get worse as more babies are born.
    If the fish wasn't born this way, then it was either damaged by an adult, or by flashing, scraping it's body against rocks or decorations.
    If the fish looks to have problems swimming, pooping or eating you may want to think about euthanizing it as it is fairly uncomfortable to have your body hanging outside of yourself.
    A blunt object would work best in this case, or clove oil which can be ourchased from walmart by the candle section, with the essential oils.

5. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

This is a guppy fry, not an adult fish. It isn't prolapse, prolapse by definition is an organ slipping inside out, as you can see the fish is pooping like normal. This is possibly a birth defect, possibly an injury during birth. The fry is obviously doing fine like this, it's apparently eating because it is pooping, and it seems to be swimming okay as well. I have no idea what organ(s) are trapped there. The other picture it looked like intestines, this one not so sure. I'd just let him do his fish thing as long as he's happy doing it. Word of caution: if you are letting Guppys breed indiscriminately, or inbreed repeatedly, you will see more of this. Along with spinal deformities and other problems. What are you DOING with all the guppy fry?

6. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

In thw second picture it looks like a fry is stuck to him and didn't fully develop.

7. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

I was kind of thinking the same thing? Like, I can see a little face although it's human instincts to find faces on stuff, so it's hard to tell.
    I really don't think that's what's going on, but that thought crossed my mind too.

8. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

I
    I actually did have a guppy fry that had a deformed sibling attached to him once but he passed away within a few days

9. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Oh, wow! That's really incredible. Maybe that is the case then?

10. aquagirlloverValued MemberMember

I am hoping to get a fish to do a population control but haven’t decided what fish is best option for my water perimeters and size of tank maybe some suggestions? I have them in a 20 long currently but I want to put them into a new 10gallon that I am cycling right now and restore my 20G as a community tank. My normal perimeters is a pH of 8.4 nitrite of 0 nitrate of 5 to 20 and ammonia of .25 but I think my test kit is wrong bc ive has this 20 g for 6 months and it has never been at 0

11. Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

Is it possible for fish to get hernias? Because that’s what this really reminds me of. It also does kinda look like a parasitic twin of sorts. Sadly, it doesn’t look like something that is surviveable to adulthood.

12. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

It's possible. If that's any type of organ from inside the fish then by definition that's a hernia.

13. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

The best way to do population control is to either get rid of all the males or all of the females. NOT to buy another fish to eat the fry. I guess I don't understand why anyone would do that. It's one thing to breed feeder fish for a carnivorous fish that needs live food, it's a whole different thing when you use another fish for indescriminate "population control" when you can do that yourself by simply separating the two genders. Put the males in your community tank and give the females away or put THEM in your 10 gallon tank.

14. aquagirlloverValued MemberMember

I don’t see any problem with a predatory type fish eating the fry if that’s what they would do in nature? Is it the idea that bothers you or is it a true disadvantage to me as a fishkeeper?

15. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

It's because you're trying to purchase an uneeded animal to take care of a problem you could solve yourself without having to plan for an extra fish you -probably- do not need lol

It's sort of like purchasing a pleco to clean youe tank, yes they suck the walls sometimes, but they don't clean tanks very well! Unless you're starving them, they likely won't clean algae off your walls.

And a predatory fish may not eat the fry, or it may go after the adults too, or it may just be an impulse buy that ends up not going over well in your tanks.
    It's possible getting a fish just to eat more fish will leave you with no fish left.
    Seems kinda silly right?
    To get something to fix a problem that can be fixed by separation?

Plus... If the predatory fish becomes too much for your tanks, then you don't really seem to have a place to keep it, your tanks both have fish in them you're trying to keep alive, so if he gets to be too much you'll be in a tough situation trying to rehome a predatory fish to someone else or back to the petshop, which isn't fun for you or that fish.

16. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

A lot of people who breed fish have a predator fish to keep numbers in check. It weeds out sickly fry because the healthier smarter ones are the ones that survive, and instead of having maybe 50 new fish each batch you'll have a few really healthy ones. I wouldn't say there's anything silly about it. It can actually be a really smart move.

17. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

I personally don't think it's silly I think it's irresponsible. In my book, it's akin to having a ferret in a cat breeding facility to kill and eat the 'weak' kittens so only the 'strong' survive.

18. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Well, I'm not sure what to say. That's definitely not my opinion.

19. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

In nature only the strong survive. The weak, the slow and the old are lost to predation while the strong and healthy survive to pass on their geins.