What Is This On My Betta?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the the colouration in the area or the 'bubbling' of the fins thats the worry?

If its the bubbling, its pretty common for fish to have them. Think of it like having white lines in your nails, its a visual defect but nothing serious - at most a benign tumor, this will describe it more: FAQs on Betta Diseases 4
(a bit of scrolling, but long story short older fish are likely to get them, they called subcutaneous tumors).

If its the colouration, the darkness may suggest ammonia poisioning... but you listed the params as fine, so i assume its not the colouration?

Gypsy13 said:
Let’s see... @aussieJJDude what does this Betta look like? Please lend me your eyes?
Haha, your eyes arent that bad. My poor nose was smooshed to the phone trying to work out what was in the circle!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ehh or maybe just a nick in his scales. Dunno! Doesn't look all that bad really...goldfish/koi get those all the time. As it;s usually the visual "sheen"/reflection that tends to give the immediate impression for a cause to be alarmed.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like an injury to me. Did you check the gravel as well as the ornaments, plants and filter before adding? They can get hurt from laying on a sharp peice of gravel.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah ok. Guess a "nick" as I said, could be interpreted as an injury...take care of him!

Appletree

Reaction score
It looks like two lumps, sorry for the awful picture it’s the best I could get. It’s blue like his fins. No sharp ornaments etc only silk plants.

A mystery then!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
Is the the colouration in the area or the 'bubbling' of the fins thats the worry?

If its the bubbling, its pretty common for fish to have them. Think of it like having white lines in your nails, its a visual defect but nothing serious - at most a benign tumor, this will describe it more: FAQs on Betta Diseases 4
(a bit of scrolling, but long story short older fish are likely to get them, they called subcutaneous tumors).

If its the colouration, the darkness may suggest ammonia poisioning... but you listed the params as fine, so i assume its not the colouration?

Haha, your eyes arent that bad. My poor nose was smooshed to the phone trying to work out what was in the circle!
Haha, I’m totally completely permanently blind. I could knock myself in the head with my iPad but I’ll never see it coming. Ouch! Lol :banghead:
Thanks for helping!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom