Important What Is This On My Betta’s Head?

BubblesTheBettaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
661891F6-A037-4938-ADB8-A98EFF092720.jpeg
It is very hard to tell from my camera but there is a white blotch on my bettas head. I bought him two days ago and he has been happy and healthy. The blotch was not there this morning. Please explain!!!

It is a bit more of a grey blotch.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's probably just an abrasion. The white growth is fungus that typically attaches itself to damaged fish tissue. Clean water & a little time usually heals it up.

BubblesTheBettaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! My heater preheats itself to about 79 degrees, and I will change the water soon. Is there any treatments I should use? Also, I use API 5 in 1 test strips and API ammonia test strips. Are they reliable enough to ensure that my bettas water is clean?

Also, is there a chance (since I bought him two days ago at Petco) that he already had an infection and that it has just shown up?

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks! My heater preheats itself to about 79 degrees, and I will change the water soon. Is there any treatments I should use? Also, I use API 5 in 1 test strips and API ammonia test strips. Are they reliable enough to ensure that my bettas water is clean?

Also, is there a chance (since I bought him two days ago at Petco) that he already had an infection and that it has just shown up?
Yeah, it's VERY possible if not for sure. I get my bettas from Petco and I always have to treat them for something or another. In the future, try keeping the betta in a small-ish hospital tank for a week or so before putting them in their new home. Usually, diseases will show up in a week or so after purchase, and having them in a bare minimum tank makes treatment easier (especially if you have live plants or other fish and invertebrates in the main tank)
I have gotten bettas with everything from finrot to ich from Petco. It doesn't mean you should totally avoid buying there (although, if you are near a breeder that is much better) just assume that your new betta is going to be sick and deal with it before moving them into their forever home
Good luck with your betta!

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Could it be my bettas head is decaying???
I have heard of a disease called "hole in head" but your betta looks more like it has a fungus problem than that. I would talk to someone at the pet store about fungus medication. has it gotten worse? if so please post another picture, that would be helpful as well. Does the grey stuff look fuzzy? or just flat?
One tip too, herbal medication has NEVER worked for me unless the issue is in very early stages so I would go for a real medication or something like that. I have heard of something called "methylene blue" that is used for fungus in fish. Probably should do some research into what would work best for you.

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The grey stuff is flat, not fuzzy (from what I can tell.
Hmmm, it could be velvet, I treat that with a copper medicine. It works for ich too. I really can't say for sure unless I see it, and even then, pictures don't always do justice. I would look up pictures of fish that have velvet and compare to what you see on your betta. I would also just watch and wait. If your betta starts acting sick then treatment is needed more urgently, but if he is still fine then it might not be something you have to treat.

BubblesTheBettaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta is very energetic and comes to see me at the front of is tank!!! He seems perfectly healthy besides the blotch on is head.

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My betta is very energetic and comes to see me at the front of is tank!!! He seems perfectly healthy besides the blotch on is head.
Well, it could be a color mutation or some missing scales then...
Just keep an eye on his behavior and watch for fin clamping, lethargy, or lack of appetite.
I hope all goes well!

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wondering if your betta ended up being okay? Just noticed the same kind of blotch on my betta's head.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom