What is this on my bamboo??

1. Fawntasy

Fawntasy New Member Member

I cut some bamboo for my betta tank, so I could spread it around the tank. But they're starting to grow these weird film bubbles. What are they??
    1467676910063.jpg

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is it growing on the cut end? It looks to me like a bacterial mat, probably feeding on the SAP leaking from the cells.

3. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Should I get rid of them?? I read that bamboo isn't the best idea, and that a lot of the small ones aren't really bamboo.

4. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Also, yes, the cut end

5. Aquaphobia

It's not bamboo, correct. It's actually a kind of dracaena and is not aquatic. The roots can be submerged but if too much of the stem is under water it's likely to rot.

6. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

I'll just take em out, then~ Do you know of any easy to maintain plants that betta's like?? I have a few marimo balls in there.

7. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Amazon swords, java fern, tiger lotus and banana plant are great for bettas and they love the large leaves to rest on and play on.

8. Aquaphobia

Anubias is a great one! If you want another non-aquatic that does well in a tank with the roots in the water and the stems draped over the side then go for cuttings of Golden Pothos. The leaves are the perfect shape for Bettas to sleep on;)

9. OP
    OP
    Fawntasy

Thank you~!! <3

10. l

litz New Member Member

It looks like a microbial growth of some sort. There are so many articles onnline that mentions tips on how to get rid of them.You could refer that.