what is this mystical being before me? :o Question

1. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Well not really mystical, but i found something on my live rock (i've seen lots of them around on this website and in the LFS)

It strange that its popped up now, because i've had my live rock for about half a year now (still no fish though)

Well i think its a button polyp or something, maybe even an aiptasia?
    There is only one however, and i DO have a picture, but my father has just ran off with the camera - but i will get the picture up soon as possible! :)
    It's orangey yellow coloured.

(sorry if i should have posted this in the live rock section)

EDIT:
    Added the pictures now ;)

122.jpg
    123.jpg

And also - i forgot to add, if it IS a good thing. How do I keep it alive/make it multiply ;D

Thankyou people on fishlore. I've never really said that before. But I seriously wouldn't have made the jump to saltwater if it wasn't for you guys!
    :;tmi

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I'm guessing not aiptasia, as they are quick growers/breeders.
    I think it stands too tall to be a button polyp.

However, I have no specific idea of what it is. Sorry.

3. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

that narrows it down not to aiptasia :p
    But i'm weird and have a log book where i write things that occur in my tank when they happen, and i want to know what it is :D

Thankyou for your reply ;)

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

5. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

hey! that does look a lot like mine, although mine is all alone :(
    Do you think where there's one there will be others?
    What do i need to keep it alive or multiply?

6. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Look up info on zoanthids. That should help. I'm afraid I don't know anything about keeping them.

7. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

okay, will do thanks :)
    I just hope i can keep this one alive long enough to find out more about the little crittur ;)
    I must be doing something right for him to suddenly pop up like that in the first place right?? :/

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say you're doing things right if it cropped up like that. It may just be a creature that takes awhile to go from juvenile to adult form, and that's why it took so long.

9. ATP Well Known Member Member

As long as you parameters are good and your lighting and waterflow is fine, it should be fine :) They're easy to take care of.

10. steve_58 Member Member

It is a button polyp of some sort.If it just popped up in that spot and is growing i'd just let it be.Button polyps will spread and multiply over time . It is not aiptasia.Thats what is so amazing and fascinating about live rock,you never know what or when something will pop out of them,lol.

11. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

I agree steve. Something about the live rock is more interesting than the actual fish! :D

And ATP, My flow is all good, and my parameters are always in check - but the lighting i have is only lighting that came WITH the tank. And i don't even know what kind it is, now i'm parranoid that it will suddenly break and it will die D:

Who'd think that someone could be so worried about such a tiny little creature?