What is this mystery substrate? (May help if you can read Mandarin!)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Everythingzen, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

It's extremely light, as in it blows around easily but it does seem to hold plant roots. It also bursts into a dust cloud if you squeeze it. The only thing I can think that it is similar to is Osmocote, in texture, weight and size, lol. I'm sure it also resembles something I've seen in shrimp aquariums. Curiously, the mts don't seem fond of it, haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure what it is, but found something similar on ebay under Mr Aqua Aquarium soil, but it didn't mention what the "soil" was made of. Hopefully someone knows!

3. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

These look like hydroponic terra cotta "balls" that are often used as a substrate for plants grown hydroponically. Also very handy in aquaponics, where the plants grow in dirty fish water. I have to admit, however, that I cannot read Mandarin. lol!

If they are indeed hydroponics clay balls, they don't actually have any plant nutrients in them and are only for rooting-- unless this company has added some, which is entirely possible.

4. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

That is Porpoise artificial soil :).

5. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

*whaps forehead* I should have looked up the name.. it doesn't mention what it's made of, but here's the company site link  

6. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

lol! I TOTALLY stand corrected! :)

7. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Thank you guys! This has cleared up a few questions. It will be interesting to see what this does for the plants.

I did try to google the company and product the other day, but they seem to have spelled their own name wrong on the back of the pack, haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice