What is this little guy

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Seacreaturefrack, Aug 10, 2015.

1. SeacreaturefrackNew MemberMember

My boyfriend got me some fish a while ago and I can't remember what this guy is, iv also got 2 guppies, 3 African dwarf frogs and a pleco. I'm wanting to get some more fish and noticed that this guy likes to chase my frogs around from time to time and just want to make sure that he is compatible with whatever I get. Please help me ID this little fellow =]

Figured it out=]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  2. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

He looks like a FW shark, not sure on exact species though.

3. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

It's a Garra.

4. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Hampalong's right, it looks like a garra to me too.

5. SeacreaturefrackNew MemberMember

Thanks guys=] I looked up garras and he seems to fit the bill. He should be fine in the tank if I get some more guppies and maybe some shrimp?

6. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

Great ID

+1, I had a Garra for over 7 years, depending on the species they get a little territorial to bigger fish, but usually pretty peaceful.

Before you put shrimp in, I would do a test run with some ghost shrimp just in case they get eaten.

7. SeacreaturefrackNew MemberMember

So do you think he would be okay with smaller fish like neon tetras? He leaves the guppies alone but likes to chase the frogs, iv never seen him nip at them though and they don't have any damage.

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree, it's a garra aka doctor fish....

9. SeacreaturefrackNew MemberMember

What kind of tank mates would work well with him?

10. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Half a dozen more of his own kind. :)

But they grow to 5-6" and are very active so you'll need a fairly big tank... and a strong flow ideally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice