What is this kind of algae

ChrisPixel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

photo.jpg Its red and has a lot of bubbles (clear) on it. It seems to be taking over my tank.

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mybe its just bubbles?

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an algae problem too but at least it's making oxygen bubbles! Put that algae to work!

skybluesam1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I have just done an internet search for what it could be and I personally think that it is Cyanobacteria also known as the red slime algae. Like all types of algae it normally grows due to two simple reasons excess lighting and through excess nutrients. You will more than likely of got it if you have added unfiltered water to your tank recently.

Now getting on to the cure . To cure cyanobacteria you will need to do a lot of water changes and moving around the substrate to keep the water clean to stop it from thriving and you could also by a left handed or dwarf zebra hermit crab which in some cases will pick off the algae.

However you should also feel proud as you have grown more than likely one of the first organisms on Earth which was supposedly around 3.5 billion years ago.

Good luck in getting rid of it .

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's cyano, common and easily removed. One of the biggest causes is excess light and low circulation, higher than normal nutrients can also play a role. One 'advantage' of cyano, it shows you where flow may be lacking in the tank (dead spots).

It is quite common in new aquaria, but given the age of your system, something may have changed. Have you changed lights recently? Cyano is primarily photosynthetic.

skybluesam1 said:
Now getting on to the cure . To cure cyanobacteria you will need to do a lot of water changes and moving around the substrate to keep the water clean to stop it from thriving and you could also by a left handed or dwarf zebra hermit crab which in some cases will pick off the algae.
Respectfully, I disagree. Increasing the flow rate, and pointing powerheads at the cyano works great, along with reduced light hours.
IME - Cyano does not do well in high flow areas. You can maintain regular water changes, and use your siphon to suck some of it out.
Lowering nutrients may or may not help.

Here's a pretty good write-up http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Cyanobacteria

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads